PARALYZED the left side of my face during Buccal Fat Removal. He Cauterized the Nerve. PLEASE don't trust this man- Knoxville

I was not going to leave this review because I do...

I was not going to leave this review because I do understand that people make mistakes but he is not even willing to help me fix the damage that he has done. I strongly believe in communicating to make things right and he has refused treatment 3 times .... I had surgery on April 6th for buccal fat removal by Dr. Steven J. Smith that has left me partially paralyzed on the left side of my face. I'm reminded everyday that the left side of my face is paralyzed because I wake up with a drooled wet pillow, stiff right jaw and a swollen face. The right side of my jaw hurts for the over compensation of the left. At the end of the day attempting to get my mouth open to eat dinner, I have to pry it open with the spoon just to end up drinking a protein shake instead without a straw because it's nearly impossible to grasp on to a straw and you should see the unnatural facial expression trying to do so. On occasion my drink spills out of the left side of my mouth. I have asked Dr. Smith to prescribe me Prednisone, Vitamin b-12 injectable and Vitamin C injectable for better faster healing if any healing occurs. He said it will subside on its own. I'm not asking for narcotics. I'm only asking for meds that will help my body heal faster. I'm in disbelief. He acknowledges the damage that he has done but refuses to give me any medication to help it heal faster. I understand mistakes happen but to be able to help me get better sooner and to not do so, is beyond me.

Please don't put your trust in this man. He will permanently damage you and act dilusional, unlike any worthy physician.

Please don't trust Steven J Smith in your care. He will carelessly damage you and ruthlessly act as though the permanent damage will heal itself. He'll act like he knows nothing about treating the damage that he's done and act like he doesn't know anything about medications. Every doctor I know owns a Physicians Desk Reference book.

Sad reality to expect Post Op.....

Maybe the Germans have a code word to describe Dr. Steven J Smiths act of delusion and murmured words. That's the best way I can describe my first and last visit with him Post Op. Otherwise Deanna gets to do the dirty work over the phone and to hear the desperate plead in her voice stating, "I don't know, I understand what you're saying but I'm just the nurse relaying his message and that is what he said." One can tell that she has been through it many many times....I can honestly say that I had an awesome review written up for Dr. Steven Smith based only on the initial consultation. He was as clear, kind and direct as he could be. Why the 180 degree change with the act of delusion and murmured words? My child does the same thing when I ask her why she did something that she wasn't supposed to be doing. I'd not be upset if I didn't have a valid reason to be. Being left with facial paralysis because the doctor cauterized a nerve while under anesthesia is way above and beyond justified for my actions.

Hopeful recovery nerve damage

I'm in tears right now I just felt my left cheek muscle or nerve move almost like a wave then spasms. I'd felt spasms a week ago but couldn't tell if the nerve was dying out or coming alive, It last for an hour then stopped completely. I have shooting pain that feels like bee stings, it burns, numbness and still swollen. Yes it is teeth clenching shooting pain but IT'S ALIVE!!! I was convinced that I was permanently paralyzed even had future plans laid out. It was completely dead forever that seemed like a decade. I was told not to post anything else on social media but this is just pure genuine honesty.

06/11/2015 Nerve Damage

I thank God that I'm not permanently paralyzed. He cauterized the nerve but didn't sever it in half therefore I have lots of hope and even feeling coming back. However being an extremely healthy woman and the hell that I've been through to get to this healing point has been extremely costly, terribly life changing to say the least and it's not done yet. I don't like speaking of money but It has cost me thousands and my insurance tens of thousands of dollars for the damages that he has done. He is the prime example of the saying. "There is nothing more dangerous than a surgeon with an open operating room and a mortgage to pay." at best. Try paying for a Neurologist after the fact, taking lots of personal time off for appointments, tests, MRIs (showing a significant amount of damage), Etc., being an emotional roller coaster with the high and low points "Feeling better in the mornings and worsens during the evening and night depending on how much I needed to speak that day." sleepless nights and have a better understanding of Sign Language. None of this is on his surgery disclosure. Know that in his eyes you're only a piece of flesh that he can work on. I personally would have been okay with that because all I wanted was his expertise but I was not anticipating the damages that he has done. He will leave you asking yourself, "What in the hell just happened?" You'll have no choice but to live through it and he'll have a careless, throw you to the side attitude. I have had well over 15 major surgeries done and have never experienced anything so horrifying.

Continued nerve damage 7/22/15

Today I visited Dr. Steven J. Smith to go over all my symptoms and my hospital stay a couple of days ago due to the damaged nerve that he performed on me April 6th. I told him that I have a lil female dog inside my cheek that will not leave me alone. That's the nicest way I can explain it too date; 16 weeks after surgery. He cauterized the buccal nerve branch during buccal fat removal. He previously said he didn't cauterize the nerve despite the proof that shows otherwise. He stated that he damaged the nerve while trying to work around the nerve, it became irritated and damaged. He has 20 years of experience and SPECIALIZES IN FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY. I asked him today, Although I know the facts, lets just say you damaged the nerve through maneuvering it, what is your limit, At what point do you tell yourself enough is enough, she can keep her fat cheek for all I care, but I'm not going to damage the nerve?" He didn't answer my question and changed the subject. He didn't murmur this time. He stated, "He was unable to see the nerve during the surgical procedure.".......WHAT IS "HIS" TRUTH?... He went in, in a hurry with too much confidence and cauterized the nerve before he could twitch but had to follow through..Dr. Steven J. Smith with 20 years of experience, If you're reading this and have an honest defense, please feel free to defend yourself. I'd sincerely love to hear it. During our visits you smoothly change the subjects. You said that you feel like you're being attacked. You've attacked me and I hate to say that. The truth deeply hurts. I'm reminded of it literally every second, it's smack in the face and I can't even say "per se". I do hold it against you. I want justice and peace of this constant dull pain and intermittent striking pain of this damaged nerve and the snarly muscle tension that I cannot release. I have many videos of this damaged nerve during a regular conversation and while I eat but I personally feel embarrassed and ashamed of them. You have no right to lie and defend yourself but yet you do during our visits. On the surface you seem to be a very kind person but your moral is naturally in question.......I've made huge mistakes that left me in disbelief of myself but I've quietly pay the consequences....I got deluded then deformed by Dr, Steven J. Smith and he got paid for doing so. He refuses to stand uprightly for his wrong doing. Is that right?? Even a villain can answer that question correctly.

Handwork of Steven J. Smith going on 4 months after he Paralyzed my face

I can't relax my muscle and it's taking every bit of energy out of me, It is a constant reminder due to the dull pain and a horrible distraction on a day to day down to seconds basis. Please don't let this happen to you and get a doctor with a descent amount of experience. I wish I'd chosen Dr. David B. Reath...For an extreme understatement, It's so hard to Live Life with paralysis. Imagine getting tiny punches on your face all day long as those punches worsen throughout the day, No matter how much you move around, you can't run away from it nor beg for it to go away and try to find some time alone go in a corner and weep. It even hurts to cry. Throughout my days I get short tempered, the taunt will not go away as it 's getting worse. Laying down, closing my eyes and listening to soft clean music every night hoping to get some sleep along with relief. Meditation and positive thoughts help too. I do pray for Dr. Steven J. Smith that he can sleep peacefully with himself every night knowing what he has done.

Hopeful Newscast Interview over Paralysis

Dr. Steven J. Smith attempted to white-mail me, Yes "White-mail" he offered a full refund if I removed these fact reviews on Realself. For a severe understatement, to consider the hell that I've been through over the Paralysis and damaged nerve that he performed on me on 4/6/15; Naturally, I want a refund over his sloppy careless work....... I do give him a small amount of credit for apologizing to me over the phone for what he has done and what I'm going through. I know he didn't do this intentionally and I can't imagine any doctor that would intentionally do what Dr. Steven Smith has done to me under his or her Medical License. He was in a hurry, overly confident and over 4 months later I'm still suffering the consequences. Question for Dr. Steven J. Smith: Did you condemn yourself when I was helplessly under anesthesia and my body reacted to the left buccal nerve you cauterized? (A moment you'll probably never forget)....You began the surgery on the left side that is now paralyzed: My right buccal has healed beautifully; actually astonishing in comparison. I Thank You, "Dr. Steven J. Smith" for not paralyzing my right side too........A simple crooked apology isn't going to make up for what you have done to me and my family. How dare you say that you feel attacked over the solid truth. If I can make it to the Newscast, I will.

8/11/15 I picked up my Medical records from Dr. Steven J. Smith office today

It hurts to laugh but Really??? When I fall asleep, I'm at Peace that I've said the solid truth. May our Superior help you Sir/Steven J. Smith.

Currently suffering from Synkinesis

Synkinesis is followed after several months of severe facial paralysis which is due to "Severe Nerve Damage." Synkinesis occurs as a result of the misdirected nerve fibers re-innervating the wrong facial muscles and I can literally feel my muscles tare on the left side of my buccal as the nerve is regrowing into the wrong muscles. It is horribly painful with the muscle tightness in my left buccal then to feel it tare and have absolutely no control over it but to bat my watery eyes. How Dr. Steven J. Smith will now try to argue what he has done; in my opinion is simply in-human. He doesn't care about the fact that he has injured me through Medical Malpractice and the consequences that I'm having to live and suffer through on a daily basis. I haven't publicly written a fraction of what I'm having to go through due to the negligence of Dr. Steven J. Smith and his POOR handwork. If you knew everything that I'm going through, you would second think even a consultation with this man. What's even worse is that he doesn't back his Poor work then complains about being attacked. Ummm this all began when Dr. Steven J. Smith refused treatment 3 times after he cauterized my left buccal nerve. His sweet staff members only defense is "We don't know anything." Such a sad position.

Synkinesis

Neurosurgeon

Dr. Steven J. Smith suggested that I go see another Plastic Surgeon. Clearly He knows what He is doing. I said, "How about a Neurosurgeon?" He said, "NO" lol!

Synkenisis and Nerve Damage

I have a family member that is in Medical School, currently studying the nervous system and knows what I'm going through. He e-mailed me this today. It's a very interesting read and as precise as it can get. It's one thing to study it and try to understand but to live through the motions with someone and studying it at the same time, he is going to get an A+ in this class!....It may have some complicated medical words, please look the words up so you can fully understand. It is so very important to know especially if you accidentally get a Ditz Plastic Surgeon. Chances are a Plastic Surgeon will not explain this to you for the obvious reason....This doesn't work for nor against a GOOD Plastic Surgeon, please choose your PS wisely. I did highlight some important points. I hope the highlight can be seen on Realself.

CHAPTER 12
The Na+–K+ pump accounts for about 70% of the
energy (ATP) requirement of the nervous system. Every
signal generated by a neuron slightly upsets the distribution
of Na+ and K+, so the pump must work continually to
restore equilibrium. This is why nervous tissue has one of
the highest rates of ATP consumption of any tissue in the
body, and why it demands so much glucose and oxygen.
Although a neuron is said to be resting when it is not
producing signals, it is highly active maintaining its RMP
and “waiting,” as it were, for something to happen.

Nerve fibers of the PNS are vulnerable to cuts, crushing
injuries, and other trauma. A damaged peripheral nerve
fiber may regenerate, however, if its soma is intact and at
least some neurilemma remains. Figure 12.9 shows the
process of regeneration, taking as its example a somatic
motor neuron:

When a nerve fiber is cut, the fiber distal to the
injury cannot survive because it is incapable of
protein synthesis. Protein-synthesizing organelles are
mostly in the soma. As the distal fiber degenerates,
so do its Schwann cells, which depend on it for their
maintenance. Macrophages clean up tissue debris at
the point of injury and beyond.

The soma exhibits a number of abnormalities of its
own, probably because it is cut off from the supply
of nerve growth factors from the neuron’s target cells
(see Deeper Insight 12.3). The soma swells, the endoplasmic
reticulum breaks up (so the Nissl bodies disperse), and the nucleus moves off center. Not all
damaged neurons survive; some die at this stage.
But often, the axon stump sprouts multiple growth
processes as the severed distal end shows continued
degeneration of its axon and Schwann cells.
Muscle fibers deprived of their nerve supply exhibit
a shrinkage called denervation atrophy.

Near the injury, Schwann cells, the basal lamina,
and the neurilemma form a regeneration tube. The
Schwann cells produce cell-adhesion molecules and
nerve growth factors that enable a neuron to regrow to
its original destination. When one growth process finds
its way into the tube, it grows rapidly (3–5 mm/day),
and the other growth processes are retracted.

The regeneration tube guides the growing sprout
back to the original target cells, reestablishing
synaptic contact.

When contact is established, the soma shrinks
and returns to its original appearance, and the
reinnervated muscle fibers regrow.

MY HIGHLIGHT:
"Regeneration is not perfect. Some nerve fibers connect
to the wrong muscle fibers or never find a muscle
fiber at all, and some damaged motor neurons simply die.
Nerve injury is therefore often followed by some degree of
functional deficit."

Even when regeneration is achieved, the
slow rate of axon regrowth means that some nerve function
may take as long as 2 years to be restored. Damaged nerve
fibers in the CNS cannot regenerate at all, but since the CNS
is enclosed in bone, it suffers less trauma than the PNS.

Continue.......

The Na+–K+ pump accounts for about 70% of the
energy (ATP) requirement of the nervous system. Every
signal generated by a neuron slightly upsets the distribution
of Na+ and K+, so the pump must work continually to
restore equilibrium........It accounts for about 70% of the energy. 70% and a Plastic Surgeon AKA Steven J. Smith CARELESSLY as in Mutilating Garbage handwork and damaging my nerve. Imagine what it has taken away from my regular lifestyle, my two babies and family. I get tired from doing almost nothing. I went from working out about every single day down to yoga. Now I simply meditate and eat healthier now than ever before. Dr. Steven J. Smith stated that rest will help it heal. He should've stated bed rest 24/7 and eating right would help it heal. I don't know about anybody but it's impossible to stay down, if nothing else I have a family to love.

Only a clean guy from the surface

I was talking to a family member and said. "I hate to call Steven J. Smith a doctor for all that he has done. He doesn't deserve it" My beautiful hearted family member stated, "He has made a mistake, we all have made mistakes, you have made mistakes.".... but how about his behavior and all his lies? He said, "Well that is morally wrong and his real character has shown through but he still has earned his degree"....Some people do bad things they go to jail and pay the consequences in hopes that when they get out they have learned their lesson, People get into car accidents and their insurance rates go up, that is one of many small examples. Dr. Steven J. Smith is now pretending and being deceptive as if though he has done nothing wrong although he has previously conceded it. It's hard for me to believe because I have never dealt with someone that is Mafioso that once behaved so flawless on the surface. He needs to pay for what he has done, instead of continuing to go forth and believing his own lies, thinking that he is going to get away with it. Dr. Steven J. Smith does it make you feel good to believe your lies... Dr. Steven J. Smith and I once was talking about the reviews that I've been posting on Realself about him and he asked me, "Does it make you feel Good to post the reviews" My response was, "No, I just don't want anybody else to have to go through this."

Grammar

I apologize for some of my grammar. Some of this stuff I cannot edit and realize too late!

Painful humour for the night!

Going on 6 months post-op and still experiencing a lot of pain on my left damaged facial nerve that Dr. Steven J. Smith performed on me from April 6th. Tonight it hurts really bad. The pain is constant but tonight it's almost unbearable. It hurts to laugh, when I do then the pain is an immediate reminder, Imagine how depressing that is. One can't help but to wonder what gives. In the past I would judge a person for not smiling nor laughing during happy exciting times, please don't do the same, you never know what the other person is going through......What I'd do to take time back.... A little humorous happening tonight; I came across a fake eyelash strip and it frightened me. I thought it was a spider! At the same time it was refreshing it reminded me I had feelings outside of this pain.

Try to have an orgasm with a straight face.

I've learned that during ovulation the pain has been a lot worse from the damaged nerve that Dr. Steven J. Smith performed on me from April the 6th on my left buccal. I had my hormones checked and everything is normal and quickly realized it is Impossible to have an orgasm with a straight face. Therefore now I must choose between the two. The damage that Dr. Steven J. Smith has done to me has incapacitated me in so many aspects. My whole life has turned upside down in the worst way. Please don't let this man touch your face nor anywhere else that is nerve related. He is a careless being. If he doesn't already have Parkinson's Disease with his crooked hands.......... I hope you, Dr. Steven J. Smith recollect what you have done to me when you do.

Chronic Pain 8 months Post-Op

I want to give an update on Dr. Steven J. Smith handwork 8 months Post-op. I continue to have severe chronic pain on my left buccal and behind my left eye socket after Dr. Steven J. Smith partially paralyzed me on April,6 2015......May you all have a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, make good decisions (better then I did) and be careful!
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Really, I'm supposed to twirl my thumbs for 6 weeks with a paralyzed face in hopes that my body will heal itself?!! Of course, it's not his face nor his family members face if that was the case he would have been 100x more careful and/or jumped on IMMEDIATE treatment. I was not going to leave this review because I do understand that people make mistakes but he is not even willing to help me fix the damage that he has done. I strongly believe in communicating to make things right and he has refused treatment 3 times .... I had surgery on April 6th by Dr. Steven J. Smith that has left me partially paralyzed on the left side of my face. I'm reminded everyday that the left side of my face is paralyzed because I wake up with a drooled wet pillow, stiff right jaw and a swollen face. The right side of my jaw hurts for the over compensation of the left. At the end of the day attempting to get my mouth open to eat dinner, I have to pry it open with the spoon just to end up drinking a protein shake instead without a straw. It's nearly impossible to grasp on to a straw and you should see the unnatural facial expression trying to do so. On occasion my drink spills out of the left side of my mouth. This is stuff one would never fathom until it happens. Happy to say that I'm not paralyzed on the right side of my face. Setting aside the stiffness, the right side has fully recovered with slight improvement prior to surgery. I've asked Dr. Smith to prescribe me Prednisone, Vitamin b-12 injectable and Vitamin C injectable for better faster healing if any healing occurs. He said it will subside on its own. I'm not asking for narcotics. I'm only asking for meds that will help my body heal faster. I'm in disbelief. He acknowledges the damage that he has done but refuses to give me any medication to help it heal faster. Again, I understand mistakes happen but to be able to help me get better sooner and to not do so, is beyond me. He was clearly sloppy or should I say carelessly loose during the procedure.... During a surgery the doctor is to locate the nerve branch and carefully protect and work around the nerve. NOT CAUTERIZE THE NERVE. My trust was put into his hands while under anesthesia. I could not tell him, "Stop, you're getting to close to the nerve or I know you have other scheduled appointments but USE YOUR HEAD, take an extra couple of minutes, you're cauterizing too deeply too fast and liable of cauterizing a nerve before you get to where you need to be. You have a human being in your hands and remember that lifeless thing at the time being is not just a number".. Dr. Steven Smith has an amazing beautiful hearted Anesthesiologist and you better believe after this experience, I am beyond grateful for her. Besides Dr. Steven J Smith leaving me paralyzed on the left side of my face with absolutely no treatment. The office staff Samantha, Catherine, Carrie and Christi which are all posted publicly on his website have been total sweethearts. I will continue to give updates of my hopeful recovery..You may see the images on my profile..Please don't put your trust in this man. He will permanently damage you and act delusional, unlike any worthy physician.....Sad reality to expect Post Op..... 7 May 2015 1 month post Maybe the Germans have a code word to describe Dr. Steven J Smiths act of delusion and murmured words. That's the best way I can describe my first and last visit with him Post Op. Otherwise Deanna gets to do the dirty work over the phone and to hear the desperate plead in her voice stating, "I don't know, I understand what you're saying but I'm just the nurse relaying his message and that is what he said." One can tell that she has been through it many many times....I can honestly say that I had an awesome review written up for Dr. Steven Smith based only on the initial consultation. He was as clear, kind and direct as he could be. Why the 180 degree change with the act of delusion and murmured words? My child does the same thing when I ask her why she did something that she wasn't supposed to be doing. I'd not be upset if I didn't have a valid reason to be. Being left with facial paralysis because the doctor cauterized a nerve while under anesthesia is way above and beyond justifiable for my actions. 7/22/15 Today I visited Dr. Steven J. Smith to go over all my symptoms and my hospital stay a couple of days ago due to the damaged nerve that he performed on me April 6th. I told him that I have a lil female dog inside my cheek that will not leave me alone. That's the nicest way I can explain it too date; 16 weeks after surgery. He cauterized the buccal nerve branch during buccal fat removal. He previously said he didn't cauterize the nerve despite the proof that shows otherwise. He stated that he damaged the nerve while trying to work around the nerve, it became irritated and damaged. He has 20 years of experience. I asked him today, Although I know the facts, lets just say you damaged the nerve through maneuvering it, what is your limit, At what point do you tell yourself enough is enough, she can keep her fat cheek for all I care, but I'm not going to damage the nerve?" He didn't answer my question and changed the subject. He didn't murmur this time. He stated, "He was unable to see the nerve during the surgical procedure.".......WHAT IS "HIS" TRUTH?... He went in, in a hurry with too much confidence and cauterized the nerve before he could twitch but had to follow through..Dr. Steven J. Smith with 20 years of experience, If you're reading this and have an honest defense, please feel free to defend yourself. I'd sincerely love to hear it. During our visits you smoothly change the subjects. You said that you feel like you're being attacked. You've attacked me and I hate to say that. The truth deeply hurts. I'm reminded of it literally every second, it's smack in the face and I can't even say "per se". I do hold it against you. I want justice and peace of this constant dull pain and intermittent striking pain of this damaged nerve and the snarly muscle tension that I cannot release. I have many videos of this damaged nerve during a regular conversation and while I eat but I personally feel embarrassed and ashamed of them. You have no right to lie and defend yourself but yet you do during our visits. On the surface you seem to be a very kind person but your moral is naturally in question.......I've made huge mistakes that left me in disbelief of myself but I've quietly pay the consequences....I got deluded then deformed by Dr. Steven J. Smith and he got paid for doing so. He refuses to stand uprightly for his wrong doing. Is that right?? Even a villain can answer that question correctly. He also did an upper lip lift on the same day. "Why am I not complaining about the right side?" Because HE PERFECTED THE RIGHT SIDE! He demolished the left side from paralysis to uneven skin. Also he didn't do any drawings on my face prior to surgery. So what does he go by with a dead beat patient lying on the table under anesthesia?! Clearly he is not that great to use only his own mental judgement to be precise. He sounds great but he is careless and loose while under anesthesia. It's been 4 months now and I can't relax my facial muscles and it's taking every bit of energy out of me, It's a constant reminder due to the dull pain and a horrible distraction on a day to day down to second basis. Please don't let this happen to you and get a doctor with a descent amount of experience. I wish I'd chosen Dr. David B. Reath...For an extreme understatement, It's so hard to Live Life with paralysis. It has also cost me thousands to have this paralysis tested and treated. It has cost my insurance tens of thousands of dollars. Don't do the same mistake I did and choose a worthy plastic surgeon. I'm as sincere as they come and will continue to give updates even if I improve....8/3/15 I still can't relax my muscle and it's taking every bit of energy out of me, It is a constant reminder due to the dull pain and a horrible distraction on a day to day down to seconds basis. Please don't let this happen to you and get a doctor with a descent amount of experience..For an extreme understatement; It's so hard to Live Life with paralysis. Imagine getting tiny punches on your face all day long as those punches worsen throughout the day, No matter how much you move around, you can't run away from it nor beg for it to go away and try to find some time alone go in a corner and weep. It even hurts to cry. Throughout my days I get short tempered, the taunt will not go away as it 's getting worse. I do pray for Dr. Steven J. Smith that he can sleep peacefully with himself every night knowing what he has done. The Office Manager is his wife. My damaged nerve is taken to an extreme personal level being that she is his wife and is defensive. There's nothing wrong with the Office Manager being the wife but when Dr. Steven J. Smith damages you, you'll literally be on your own. He has asked me to take the damaged nerve that he has damaged, elsewhere Since I've stated nothing but pure facts on Realself and that is how he handles his business as well, Therefore it's not only in his handwork. He has treated it as if though it's normal to be paralyzed and to give it time but it has already been 4 grueling months, the longest months of my life. 8/20/2015: I'm currently suffering from synkinesis. Synkinesis is followed after several months of severe facial paralysis which is due to "Severe Nerve Damage." Synkinesis occurs as a result of the misdirected nerve fibers re-innervating the wrong facial muscles and I can literally feel my muscles tare on the left side of my buccal as the nerve is regrowing into the wrong muscles. It is horribly painful with the muscle tightness in my left buccal then to feel it tare and have absolutely no control over it but to bat my watery eyes. How Dr. Steven J. Smith will now try to argue what he has done; in my opinion is simply in-human. He doesn't care about the fact that he has injured me through Medical Malpractice and the consequences that I'm having to live and suffer through on a daily basis. I haven't publicly written a fraction of what I'm having to go through due to the negligence of Dr. Steven J. Smith and his POOR handwork. If you knew everything that I'm going through, you would second think even a consultation with this man. What's even worse is that he doesn't back his Poor work then complains about being attacked. Ummm this all began when Dr. Steven J. Smith refused treatment 3 times after he cauterized my left buccal nerve... His sweet staff members only defense is "We don't know anything." Such a sad position. 8/21/2015 A couple of months after surgery; I have the exact date written down Dr. Steven J. Smith stated, "The nerve will grow back even if it grows in the opposite direction, it will grow back." Which at the time that put me at ease. What he didn't explain was that is called Synkinesis and in that case the nerve would be growing into any muscle, therefore would play a completely different role as far as the functionality of my face, symmetry and the pain that I would endure to go through it. It's 3 A.M. right now and can't sleep because of the striking pain I have from this damaged nerve. 10/18/2015: It is dertimental that I contain my anger and happiness in every aspect. I have a 7 y/o and naturally kids want what and when they want it, whatever it maybe and if it's not possible one must explain and sometimes argue, every parent has experienced it. The first time I asked her calmly, "Please, please do not make me angry." She was setback by it, almost like "Don't you at least want to argue some facts?!" She has no clue what has happened but she knows something has severely changed. I cannot give her the super exciting smiles I once would always give her. Although I try, I can make it half ways before the snarly smirk; within my cheek and heart it hurts badly. It confuses her and I don't know what to say or do. More than 6 months later I do feel a very tiny, a grain of sand of guilt to continue to critique Dr. Steven J. Smith for what he has done to my family and I. Meanwhile, it is not possible to forgive a careless being with crooked hands. Within myself I know for a FACT that Dr. Steven J. Smith is sorry ONLY because of this review toward HIMSELF and what it involves towards his business. Even if this site allowed the words that I think of this man and his poor handwork, which goes hand in hand with the CONSTANT PAIN; I wouldn't post them because I have self control. Whatever you do PLEASE, if not for your own well being at least for your family and the ones that love you; DO NOT LET DR. STEVEN J. SMITH USE YOU AS HIS GUINEA PIG, SEVERELY DAMAGE YOU AND FOR HIM TO GET PAID FOR DOING IT. Yes, I'm in a lot of pain right now from this damaged nerve........as I imagine him peacefully driving home after a long day. 12/20/2015: OVER 8 MONTHS LATER; I STILL HAVE CHRONIC PAIN FROM DR. STEVEN J. SMITH POOR HANDWORK.