20 Year Old, Very Oily Skin, Acne Prone - Houston, TX

This is going to be long. First off, I have VERY...

This is going to be long.

First off, I have VERY oily skin. For a reference, I used Mac Prolong Wear foundation to conceal my acne/acne scars as well as control my oily skin. After an hour, my oils would seep through the foundation and look very obvious. This also contributed to my skin breaking out. My skin also scarred extremely easily. Touching the acne would scar it, not touching the acne would also scar it.

Accutane has not only completely stopped my oils but it has also completely prevented the majority of my acne from forming AND I am only finishing up the 2nd month.

First month of Accutane- not much difference from not being on accutane. My face actually started getting worse from 15-25 days on it. It broke out in phases- first my cheeks/nose then my forehead and lastly the tops of my neck/chin area. Oils from face were completely gone though. Lips are EXTREMELY dry but face is what I would say is "normal" on the oily to dry spectrum (probably because I had SUCH oily skin before)

Second month of Accutane- Huge difference. A lot less acne and therefore, scars started disappearing. I also feel like the scars fade a lot faster than before I started Accutane. Lips still continue to be dry (definitely use Aquaporin- only thing I have found that works).

Side Effects- Dryish skin/scalp and very dry lips. Dryish scalp leads to a little more hair loss than before. Nothing significant though! No nose bleeds and other more severe side effects.

Final Thoughts- If you are considering whether to start Accutane because of the side effects or monthly lab work, TRY ACCUTANE. It is honestly worth it. I just regret I didn't start it earlier!
Dr. Jane Doe