Hostile and unprofessional when a problem arose

5 Oct 2016
Updated

1 day ago

Hostile and unprofessional when a problem arose

I had Restylane injected in my under eye area (tear trough) with this doctor. During the procedure, I felt pain in my eye (not severe but noticeable), which continued through the next day, as well as increasing irritation and itching all around my eye. I have had these injections in the area before, so I knew this wasn't normal. I know that rarely fillers can cause severe vision impairment and even blindness, and authors of several publications on the topic have stressed the importance of seeing a physician if ocular symptoms arise post injection. I returned to see him the following day, but he was quite defensive and unhelpful. He was dismissive of my concerns without examining me and did not give me any kind of diagnosis to indicate that everything was normal nor did he give me a referral. I had seen my ophthalmologist earlier in the day and she had told me this was not her area of expertise, and he kept saying that it should be (I think she should know what she is and isn't qualified to diagnose, and I found his criticism of her quite inappropriate). I was able to get in to see an oculofacial plastic surgeon who examined me and told me that the filler had migrated but that there was no permanent damage but all of this was extremely stressful to me to say the least. I do not know whether this was injection error not -- I can't say because I know even good injectors can have things go awry - but I will never see this doctor again because of the way he treated me. There are many doctors in this city who are both professional and experienced, so I don't know why anyone would settle for Dr. Echavez.