Chin Reduction! - Honolulu, HI

I love Dr. Wong, he's fabulous!! I had long been...

I love Dr. Wong, he's fabulous!! I had long been unhappy with the length and projection of my chin. It made me self conscious, ever since high school. About five or six years ago, I saw a plastic/maxillofacial surgeon to finally do something about it. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. He seemed rather timid when I asked about reducing the vertical length of my chin- instead, he just burred it down a bit horizontally. Unfortunately, I was left with some redundant skin and not much of a change. I had two different surgeons excise the excess skin, and the last one left me badly scarred and uneven.

Happily, I found Dr. Wong! Almost immediately, I knew that I was finally in the right hands. Very skilled hands, I might add (I can see why he has been voted one of the best doctors in America since 1998). He knew exactly what I wanted and what he had to do to get me there. By nature, I tend to be an anxious person, but he and his lovely wife, who works beside him, put me soooo at ease. They make one hell of a team.

It has been 51 days and I still have a bit of healing to do, but I am so happy! The next time I need some tweaking, I know who I'll be seeing ;-).

Befores and one after pic

All of the photos (except for the last) were taken before my vertical reduction. I had the procedure done on February 20. My chin and lower lip are still numb, but I am not the fastest healer ;-). I suspect that it will take many months to regain full feeling in those areas. Although you can't tell from this angle, I will also need a tiny bit of tweaking- just a little more skin nipped below the jaw. So far, so good!

Over two years later....

Well, it has been more than two years, and I can honestly say that yes, I am happy that my chin is smaller, but I am left with what I know is permanent nerve damage and numbness in my lower lip and chin. The nerves never regenerated, although I waited patiently. I am still learning to live with this, and I know that it was a risk, but the one thing I wish I had done beforehand was see someone who was more skilled in this area. A word of advice- do not go to a plastic surgeon for bone work unless they have a great track record. I should have seen a maxillofacial surgeon. Don't get me wrong- Dr. Wong is a very nice man and I have no doubt that he performs excellent work in the field of plastic surgery.....but personally, I should have done more research (famous last words, I know).
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Wong is very attentive, patient, and has the best bedside manner. He also answered every one of my million questions.