45 but my 7yr Old Makes Me Feel 60...hopefully I'll Be More Active with Her After This =) Fountain Valley, CA

Hi everyone, I thought I would do a post today....

Hi everyone,

I thought I would do a post today. My operation is in 3 days. I'm not too nervous about the surgery. I'm more concerned with the healing process after and making sure I don't do anything to cause complications with healing. I think the fact that I'm aware and concerned I will most likely be pretty cautious during the first few weeks. We'll see.

About me. I'm from Oregon and now live in Southern California with my wife and beautiful 7 yr old daughter. I've been stocky most of my life. I'm 5'8ish and in my 20's I stayed around 200-220lbs. when I was 27 I hurt my back playing roller hockey and then made it worse in a fall learning to snow board. Three yrs later I had back surgery. I got up to 250ish while I wasn't exercising. I got healthier at 30 and got back down to 215-225 range. When I was 31 I did the body for life diet and got down to 201. that didn't stick and I was back up to 220-225 by 33 and eventually I got to 240-250 range and stayed there for several years. After the girlfriend had my daughter and moved in I slowly gained over 3 yrs to 275. I lost 30 lbs and got down to 245 for the wedding. That didn't last and I went from 245 in Jan 2011 to 341 when I met with the doctors on 2/24/2015. Yes, I said 341. that was hard to see but not as hard as seeing pic's of myself. I'll attach a couple pic's just so you see a before pic.

so far the process has been really simple and fairly fast. I told my doctor in January that I would like to look into it and she gave me a referral. I was contacted by the center of obesity and they set up an appointment for me on 2/24/2015. this appt lasted from noon to 6pm! First was a New Patient Class. It was an information class where they discussed the program and the different procedures. Then I met with a Physician’s Assistant to go over my medical history, an insurance verifier to go over my insurance requirements. I also had to complete paperwork for the psychologist. Second was a nutrition class. third was a doctor's talk which covered the sleeve and bypass in detail. They also emailed three tutorials to review before this long appt.

After that appt I had one appt with a psychologist and I had to goto one support group meeting. Around that time I got a call from them letting me know that my surgery was approved by my insurance. Then I had one more appt with a one on one with the doctor. Some of the people in the support group meeting seemed to have much more pre-surgery requirements from their insurance than I did.

They called me at the end of April/ beginning of May to schedule the surgery. One of the 3 surgeons could have done the surgery on May 14th and one of the others could have done it on May 24th, but The wife wanted me to wait for Dr. Leport who is the head honcho there. 6/1/2015 was his first available time.

At my Feb appt they talked about the diet and it being a high protein diet. I decided at that time I would start eating a higher protein diet and I've lost some weight, went to Toronto in April and gained some back...Loving Poutine!! then started my 2 week liquid diet on 5/18 and have been losing.

2/24/2015 341 lbs
3/21/2015 327 lbs.
5/12/2015 331 lbs
5/28/2015 315 lbs

I'll post some more after surgery. Wish me luck!

2 days post op update.

Hi everyone. thanks for the words of encouragement!! my surgery was on Monday, 6/1 and went as planned. I stayed the night at the hospital and came home the following day. I only got nauseous once and that was went I went for my first walk about 4 hrs after the surgery. I dosed on and off for most of the rest of that day...thank you morphine..lol I think the most I slept was about 1-1.5 hrs at a time.

They didn't give me food or drink until around 9am the day after the surgery. They brought water, apple juice, broth, and diet cranberry juice. I started with the water. I was pretty cautious with my eating. they gave me a bunch of 1 oz cups to put drinks in. they wanted me to use them so they could monitor how much I was drinking. I drank a 1oz water over 5 min then rested 5 min then drank 1oz apple juice over the next 5 min, then rested 5 min, then drank 1oz broth over 5 min, 5 min rest, then 5 min to drink another oz of water. i drank the one oz over 5 sips, one sip a minute.

they took me off the morphine and gave me pain pills. i guess once they saw that I was able to keep the drinks and meds down then it was ok to send me home. I got home around 6pm on Tues. I went in and weighed myself and I had gained 10lbs in the two non-eating days at the hospital...that was depressing..must have been from all the IV fluids? oh well, in the day I've been home I'm down 8 of the 10 lbs.

I'm suppose to drink 64 oz of liquids and take in 100 grams of protein. I took in 50oz of water and 60g of protein today.

jeff

1 Week Post Op.

Well it's Monday...that means it's been one full week since my surgery. Over all I would say I'm feeling pretty good. I try to do everything carefully with slow smooth movements. maybe a little over cautious but it works for me. I'm still tender on the right side of the abdomen and will notice that sometimes when I start walking i'll kind of hold that area as I walk. The lower part of my belly is all one shade of purple..nice...I assume it's from the trauma of the surgery. I'm still doing my best to take in water like I noted in my prior post. I can tell that I'm a little low on energy but I think overall i'm doing really well. I haven't had any issues holding liquid down. haven't got sick at all short of my first walk noted above. All in all, I'm still really happy that I went through with it.

I weighed 299 lbs this morning!! it's been a long time since I was under 3 bills. My main concern is that I'm probably losing a lot of muscle based on how much weight i'm losing and how fast. While I was fat I also went to the gym a lot and was pretty strong. I think it's best not to let that mess with my mind and stay positive. I need to remember that in a month or so i'll be able to start lifting again to help prevent more muscle loss.

Food in general wasn't in my mind for several days. Even the smell of food didn't make me wish I could have some. The last few days I've smelled some food that I wish I could have sampled....think that means I'm healing..Heck even the strawberry salad they show on the Wendy's commercial is looking mighty tasty....

so my progress has been:

2/24/2015 341 lbs
3/21/2015 327 lbs.
5/12/2015 331 lbs
5/28/2015 315 lbs
6/08/2015 299 lbs.

42 down. yay!.

Jeff in Long Beach.

2 weeks Post Op. Update

Not much to update. things are going good. I'm down to 289. I was 312 2 weeks ago on the day of my surgery. So I'm essentially down almost a pound a day since the surgery, which I'm happy about. Down 52 lbs since Feb 24. Yay!

I've gotten really lucky when it comes to some of the issues people have with the surgery. I have yet to spit up any food or have any issues keeping food down. I think part of my success could be attributed to being cautious and maintaining the slow but steady intake of of liquid where I take 5 sips in 5 minutes to equal 1 ounce. Then rest 5 minutes then repeat. It takes a little practice but it prevents taking too big of gulps at a time.

I'm still on the liquid diet and protein shakes are getting old. I have one more week then I'll go to the purayed food stage for three weeks.

The hardest thing for me so far is just trying to take in 64 ounces of liquid in a day and to try and take in 100 grams of protein. I reach the goal on 64 ounces of liquid probably 75% of the time, while I'm probably only 40-50% successful in taking in the correct amount of protein. The rest of the time I'm only getting around 50 to 60 grams per day.

4 weeks post Op. update.

the speed of my weight loss has really slowed down. It's kind of a bummer, but I'm still losing so I try not to be bummed about it.
start weight: 341
surgery weight: 312
2 weeks post op: 289
3 weeks post op: 285
4 weeks post op: 283

so after losing 23 lbs in the first two weeks after surgery I proceeded to lose 4 lbs on the 3rd week and only 2 lbs last week.

6 week post op update

Cleared to eat solid food..yay. Cleared to lift weights..yay again. I've always went to the gym before work. Since the surgery it was only walking until the 3week check up then the elliptical after that. I lifted today I benched 225 4 times before the surgery I could lift 365 4 times and could do 225 25 times....talk about muscle loss..wow. It's tough mentally but I keep telling myself I'd rather weigh 200 and bench 240 than weigh 340 and bench 380....

Stats:
4 weeks post op: 283
5 weeks post op: 282
6 weeks post op: 278

6 week post op photo

Down a hundred pounds!! yay.

Hi guys.

Stats:
2/24/2015 high weight 341
6/1/2015 SW: 312
7/1/2015 283
10/15/2015 235 lbs!!

down 106lbs since my high weight and 77 lbs since my surgery. best decision ever!!!

jeff

Face to face pic

Well I'm down to 224 from a HW of 341 on 3/1/15 and SW of 312 on 6/1/2015.

March 2016 update

My HW was 341 in march of 2015. I had surgery in June so while it's only my 9 month anniversary since surgery it is my one year anniversary since my HW. I weighed 204 this morning.

One year side by side pic

what a difference a year can make. Pic on the right is from Pi day( 3/14/15) with my daughter and the left pic is from 3/17/2016

Into onerland!!

Hey guys,
Not much new. For down to 199 lbs 2 or 3 months ago. Haven't lost more weight since then but I dropped another pant size. When I started I was wearing 48/50 pants..just bought a size 34!!!
Dr. LePort