Botched by Dr. Chout

At 5 weeks post op, I have to say that I've...

At 5 weeks post op, I have to say that I've regretted my decision to go under the knife for a face, neck and temporal lift, and fat transfer to my cheeks. When I look at myself in the mirror, I look distorted: my eyes looked pulled, my face is swollen and there is residual bruising. Not to mention that my face feels like a mask with the sides feeling hard and numb. Additionally, I've had a sensation in my ears as if they were blocked. All in all, I have to say every day I think of why I put myself through this difficult situation, not to mention the cost I've paid in terms of money, energy and other resources.

My PS has told me that it usually takes 3 months for the swelling to go down and to look "normal." If I had known this, I would probably would opted for doing only one thing at a time, but I thought I was being practical by addressing multiple areas of my face at once.

Face Exercises, Healthy Diet and Meditation

Of the many things I'm doing to speed up my recovery, I recently looked up how to do a lymph drainage massage on my face, and this has seemed to help the swelling. Today, I started doing face exercises with the hope that the movement of the face muscles will help with gaining sensation and mobility of the face.

With the free time, I'm also cooking more to control the salt intake and the quality of what I eat. The challenge now is to consume more calories as I've been loosing weight ( almost 10 lbs since the surgery). I am forcing myself to eat 3 healthy meals a day, and I'm also taking multivitamins.

To control my anxiety and feeling down at times, I am taking the time to meditate and read books on staying positive and achieving happiness. Right now, I started reading Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach.

Roller Coaster Ride

Yesterday morning, I looked at myself in the mirror--something that I was avoiding because it makes me obsess about the slow recovery--and felt positive. Later in the day, I looked again, and the doubts continued as to if I'll like the outcome. It was very hard to stay positive, feeling anxious and fearful.

One thing that has made a difference is the support of members from RealSelf who are experiencing the same journey.

Where Can One Buy Patience?

As I hear from the doctors and others on this forum, it takes time for the healing and recovery to take place. The first benchmark I've been hearing is 3 months for swelling to subside to a point where it is almost normal; next I been told that at 6 months the swelling is down to 80% and that the rest takes a year. Wow! That's a long time.

For me, it has been very hard to be patient, and I'm only 5 weeks post op. Knowing that there is still quite a while to go makes me feel powerless. Everyone says to hang on and be patient, so I'll try to focus on other things while my body works through the stages of healing.

Many of the emails and comments that I've received have kept my spirits up. I am very appreciative of the support I've received.
Today I am grateful for:
RealSelf members who have have been providing positive feedback and support--you know who you are!!!
My cat who loves me no matter what I look like
My ex who has shown support and fixed many things around the house while I was gone
My friend Michelle, who listened patiently about my situation, and shared some of her challenges, which gave me perspective on mine
My health, which has allowed me to continue healing
My resiliency, which has given me the strength to carry on through this difficult recovery

Thank you!

Today marked a milestone for me: I made it to the 6 week mark. While I still do not look like myself, I feel that the swelling will continue to subside more now as the body builds thin collagen (per one of the surgeons on RealSelf).

My PS responded to my email this morning, and he let me know that the tension in the eyes will gradually relax. This makes me feel better because my main worry was that my eyes would continue to look pulled. I'll have a video conference with him on Saturday to discuss the fat transfer to the cheeks, the overall recovery up to date, and the eyes. As I stated in my email to him, my expectations have not been realized at this point, so I hope that once the swelling goes down some more, I'll start to look more normal and natural.

I've heard from a few members from RealSelf that it takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to go down, and in some of the pictures posted, I've been able to see the difference time makes. Once again, I just have to be patient and hope for the better!

My recovery continues at a very slow pace. Yesterday for the first time, my hopes were up that I will look like myself once again. Unlike other posters, I still do not like what I see in the mirror, but I'm trying to be patient.

Last Saturday, my PS stood me up. We were supposed to have a video conference, and I was not able to reach him. (He set the time and date, and did not bother to cancel or reschedule.) Going abroad for surgery can be a big mistake. Of all the bad decisions I made, this one is on the top of the list.

At 2 months post-op, I'm still unhappy with the results. There has been improvement, but the overall outcome is not what I had hoped for when I decided to have the procedures. I know that the swelling will decrease with time, and I'm hoping that the fat transfer will reabsorb as much as possible.

My plastic surgeon has not responded to 2 emails I've sent over the past 3 weeks asking for a follow-up consultation, and also requesting information on my record. Mainly, I want to understand his approach and technique with the fat transfer. As one can imagine, I find it very unprofessional that he is unresponsive although I continue to be patient, respectful and courteous in my communication with him. He probably did not like me voicing concerns regarding the pulled eyes, the scars, the overfilled fat transfer, and the problems I'm having with my left ear.

While I've seen improvement with my eyes relaxing and the swelling going down, I am still dissatisfied with the results. Definitely not worth the trauma, pain, time, energy and money spent. If my surgeon had explained that my eyes would look slanted for months and that the swelling from the fat transfer would also take several months to subside, I would have opted not to have the fat transfer and the lateral brow lift.

What has made this experience more difficult is that my plastic surgeon has not been helpful: he only responds to emails after I quote some Good Medical Practice guidelines; after asking for my operative notes and record for months, he has yet to send them to me; when I bring up issues like pus coming out of my incisions, he is very dismissive instead of explaining if this normal or what to expect. In other words, the after-care has been extremely poor. It is clear that after he got paid, he checked out and does not care about my healing and recovery.

For this reason, I would strongly advise people to think twice about having surgery abroad. The healing takes a long time and issues can come up--even with the most skilled surgeons, so it very important to have a surgeon who is there to support your recovery.

Physically, there has been gradual improvement in the way I look, but I still do not like the overall result, and I'm hoping there won't be a need for revision(s) down the line. The most notable improvement has been that I no longer have the ear discomfort I suffered for the first 3 months post op.

Emotionally, I've come to terms with the fact that it takes time for the healing to take place, and that the things I can control are taking care of myself by eating healthy, exercising, and surrounding myself with people who support me.

My surgeon continues to be unhelpful, and based on my experience thus far, he lacks professionalism, empathy, a bedside manner, and ethics. In the last month, I've requested we have a video conference for the 3 month follow-up check in, but he has not responded. Although I am extremely courteous in my communication, and I provide ample time in between my reaching out to him, he has not responded to emails, a text and a phone call. He did send me my operative notes after numerous requests.

The positive thing that has come out of this difficult experience is the many women I've been able to connect with on this website. I consider many of them my angels, who have provided words of support, wisdom, positivity and encouragement.

Although it was not my intention, I've also grown as a person as I've had time to reflect on my life and the things that really matter. I am more grateful and humble as a result of this challenging experience.

Chout's Ugly Design

Today is my 8 month anniversary. I struggled in deciding to write this update because I am usually a very positive person, and I hate to focus on the negative, but the reality is that after 8 months, I continue to be dissatisfied with the outcome: the areas I sought to improve look worse than before the surgery:

- My face looks wider, which in my case is not an improvement. Chout placed the fat transfer too high up and on the sides, which makes my face look odd.
-My eyes still look pulled although not nearly as they were at the beginning--I am very appreciative of this improvement because the initial eye distortion made me look like a cat lady
- My nose looks bigger
- Some of the scars don't look good and might need revision. To be fair to Chout, he did a good job at hiding the scars in the tragus (inside the ears).

Overall, I ended up looking ugly, which is so ironic because I never dreamed that I would have to pay money to look worse. The only improvement is that I have a smooth jaw line, but even this area looks swollen, adding to my face looking "off." I am in the process of seeking advise through consultations with doctors to address revision work. At this point, I am very realistic in my expectations and only seek to improve the way I look--not perfection.

My advise to women who are looking at plastic surgery:

-Research your doctor very carefully. Do not fall for the marketing because what you see are the optimal cases, and you might not fall in this category.
- Think twice before going abroad because the recovery is long and it is very helpful to have a doctor who will be there during the healing period to address any problems or possible revisions
- Be conservative: start small and have one or two procedures at a time.
- If you want a fat transfer, be VERY CAREFUL because reversing this procedure is very difficult and finding doctors who are qualified and willing to address this revision is hard

Despite this set back, I continue to be grateful for the many good things in my life, and I remain hopeful that one day I will look better either through revisions, or perhaps time will be a factor as I continue to heal.

Another poster likened the first year post-op after a bad outcome as hell and the second year as purgatory. I guess I have just graduated to purgatory. Although I've had very minor improvements, it is obvious that I will need revision work to look closer to "normal." By normal I mean the following:

- Hair transplant to be able to wear my hair up again
- Fat transfer removal: even a small improvement would make a difference
- Nose revision: my nose ended up looking bigger
- Scar revisions in the back of my ears

I really do not want to go under the knife again, and I'm dreading the physical, emotional, financial and energy resources needed to undergo additional procedures, but the choice is to continue to go through life in an edited mode. My life changed dramatically in the last year:

- my social life was almost non-existant compared to my previous engagement with family, friends and dating;
- my professional life took a hit as I had to stay home for four months because I was ashamed that my face looked so distorted and that it was obvious I was the victim of bad plastic surgery
- my personal life suffered as I went to periods of grief, sadness and regret

I have been able to endure this year of hell with the support of family, friends, and the many women I've met through RealSelf. During this year, I've had to time to reflect on the things that really matter. This has led to an acute sense of being grateful for the "little things," kind gestures, and human connections that have allowed me to survive through looking what I call an identify crisis: the daily torture of looking in the mirror to see a face that is distorted, "off," unattractive, and scarred.

Next year, my hope is that I'll I find answers, solutions, and perhaps an acceptance of what who I am now--a different person altered by the hands of Dr. Chout who gave me his Ugly Design.

18 Months

Just a quick update: Three weeks ago, I had my first revision. While I continue to dislike the outcome, I have gone through different stages to where I am now: focused on being happy, grateful and healthy.

Two Years After

It's been over two years, and every day when I look in the mirror the reflection is a reminder of the botched surgery. This year, I hope to find the courage to have revisions, so that I can regain my confidence in the way I look. I continue to be thankful for my friends--both in my personal circle and those I've met through this website. In many ways, I've emerged as a stronger person, but I also want to like my exterior.

When Doctors Attack

In trying to make Dr. Chout accountable for the botched surgery, he is trying to bully me and intimidate me into not sharing my experience. Everything that I've posted is backed by evidence. Unethical doctors don't like when you call them on their mistakes and go on the offensive. Other women on this site have had the same experience with him in that he refuses to address his mistakes by refunding the fees when people need revisions due to his ineptitude.
Philippe Chout

My experience with Dr. Chout has been extremely negative. I would caution anyone to be careful about him because he is unethical, unprofessional, uncaring and dishonest. In the end, it has been obvious to me by his lack of support and almost minimal after care that he was only interested in making a profit; once he had my money, I was pretty much on my own dealing with a negative outcome.