Excellent surgeon for a mastectomy, Wisconsin

Mastectomy

Wuffy, Wisconsin

Doctor Review

12 Oct 2016
Updated

1 day ago

Excellent surgeon for a mastectomy - Wisconsin

Dr. Pitchford is very straightforward and to the point; he'll explain everything you need to know about your procedure, including the possible risks (in fact, he'll focus on the possible risks vs. the benefits just to make sure you're absolutely aware of what could go wrong), benefits, and options for the procedure. While his speciality is bariatric surgery, he also does general surgery, and has done many mastectomies in the past. In my case, I was there for a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy. He was also good at going over which incision options wouldn't be suitable for my particular anatomy as they would result in an end result that wouldn't be what I was looking for on a cosmetic level. He mentioned he'd done many mastectomies in the past, but also stated that since the ones he'd done were for cancer removal and not for preventative measures, he was not skilled on the reconstruction side and is the one who suggested we get a plastic surgeon involved to make certain I had an aesthetic outcome that I was pleased with. +100 points for being able to admit when something was out of his skill range and he wasn't comfortable doing that, I see a lot of horror stories on RealSelf from patients who had a surgeon that would just tell them they could do a procedure when it was beyond what they were comfortable with. I never felt rushed or like he was in a hurry or not listening, and he took extra time in appointments to make sure questions had been adequately covered and addressed. His office staff was friendly and responsive to messages and phone calls, as well as to requests for appointments to speak to Dr. Pitchford directly. Dr. Pitchford is the general surgeon who performed my bilateral mastectomy, to see my review of the surgeon who did the reconstruction: https://www.realself.com/review/eau-claire-wi-breast-reconstruction-36-years-prophylactic-bilateral-mastectomy He and his office staff kept in close contact with Dr. Ewings and her office to make sure everyone was on the same page regarding my procedure, and the day of surgery, I met with both of them together so everyone could double check the plan and verify once more what was being done and what the reconstruction plans were so there were no surprises.