My Experience with Latissimus Flap Breast Surgery - Atlanta GA

I would never recommend this surgery to anyone. I...

I would never recommend this surgery to anyone. I have a small frame, thin upper body so the scar tissue from this surgery has caused me much pain and agony. The scar tissue had adhered to my ribs. My reconstructed breast is partly under my arm. I am very limited on the motion of my arms due to using my arms for even lifting pot and pans causes my back to hurt.
Dr. Styblo & Dr Bostitch

Dr. Styblo did my mastectomy and Dr. Bostitch did the latissimus flap reconstruction. I could never get a follow up appt with Dr. styblo. Neither Doctor explained the damage this would do to my back. This was in 1999 and I couldn't find anything to read about the after effects this would have on my life. I have suffered pain from scar tissue since and it gets worse every year. They were told that I already had severe osteoporosis but said it didn't matter. I'm thankful to be a survivor for these 17 years but it has been painful. I would recommend to breast cancer patients that they do research before considering this type of surgery . I understand it is still being done. If you try to strengthen upper back with exercise, remember that muscle is now your breast and it is impossible. I've been to therapist of all kinds to try to get scar tissue loosened from my ribs and shoulder blade. Dr Bostitch told me he did have to go further up in my back to shoulder blade to get enough tissue. I simply was not a candidate for this. My chiropractor told me I had no muscle below my shoulder, just scar tissue.