19 Yr Old, Open Revision Rhinoplasty to Address a Primary Rhino That Caused More Aesthetic Problems Than I Had Preoperatively

I had my primary closed rhinoplasty performed in...

I had my primary closed rhinoplasty performed in 2014-- I was 17 years old and traveled to Bogota, Colombia (Dr.Mauricio Linares). The main reasons I sought a rhinoplasty were to address my bulbous nasal tip and the very slight hump I had and to narrow the bridge. Overall, my preoperative nose was not one that people ridiculed me of while I was growing up or that people ever made comments on at all. These were "imperfections" that I fixated on. I eventually convinced my mom to let me have this surgery done, assuring her I had done my due diligence. Fast forward to the day of cast removal, my new nose looked unnatural and retracted. My worst fear. As the months went by, I noted that my nasal bump remained, my tip was still bulbous but, at the same time, from the profile had a pointy look to it. My left nostril was slightly retracted. And the bottom of the nasal tip was straight and didn't have a natural curvature to it. By 1-year post op, I accepted that I wasn't botched, but I felt that I had more aesthetic concerns after my primary than I had preoperatively. The notching on my left profile made me quite self-conscious as did the dent that eventually appeared on the left side of nasal bridge.

I met with Dr.Bustillo twice last year. At the first consultation, he advised me to reconsider having a revision rhinoplasty and kindly invited me to come back when I understood the implications of undergoing another surgery and if I decided to have a revision. At the second consult, he pinpointed all of my concerns and suggested how he could improve the appearance of my nose. Dr.Bustillo's allegiance to achieving a natural look was what guided my decision to choose him to help me feel better about my appearance.

I'm now nearly a week post op (July 17th surgery date). The day before surgery I received a call from Jessica, the surgery coordinator, and a few hours later I missed a call from Dr.Bustillo. The day of surgery I arrived at about 10am to prepare for surgery. Nurse Denise and the anesthesiologist (I forgot their name) were very kind and comforting. I was nervous but in the general sense that surgery is surgery. Dr.Bustillo is a warm and honest person, and, when I mentioned that I was nervous, he even reminded before surgery that I had nice nose-- I didn't have to follow through if I didn't want to. But I was ready. He quickly went over the surgery plan and assured me he would do his very best. All I can say is that even at the peak of my swelling, I know Dr.Bustillo created a beautiful nose. He called me the night of surgery and told me that it was a complicated revision, and that he believed I would love my new nose. From what I can see, my nostril rims are no longer notched and my nasal tip has a natural curvature to it. I didn't know it was even possible to love my new nose this early on in recovery??!!-- because that's surely not how it was the first time. It looks so natural. I am due to have my cast removed this week, and I am ecstatic to see the rest of it.

For those seeking a primary or revision, I highly recommend Dr.Bustillo. Thank you to everyone at Dr.Bustillo’s for facilitating my experience, and thank you Dr.Bustillo for being such a skilled artist!

Here are some photos of my original nose, my nose after my primary, and my recent post-op photos from my revision:) I'll update as I progress.

more post primary rhino photos

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr.Bustillo is genuinely an honest and kind person. I made a wise choice trusting Dr.Bustillo with my revision surgery-- if only I had chosen him for my primary!