HaloPro Fractional Laser Treatment for Moderate Acne Scarring - Columbia, SC

This is my first HaloPro Laser treatment for my...

This is my first HaloPro Laser treatment for my acne scarring but my third laser treatment overall. The treatment was incredibly comfortable when comparing to the Matrix CO2 laser procedure I had done previously. They put numbing cream on my face for a full hour which was longer than I had experienced at my last plastic surgeon's office; the extra half hour made a huge difference. I had very little pain throughout. They used the scar reduction mode on 15% for both ablative and non-ablative settings. If I heal well, I will be completing another treatment in approximately six weeks on a higher setting. The doctor indicated that I should not do more than three treatments of the HaloPro, and I am hopeful that I will only need two total! I will post updates as I heal!

I was given a Pure MD calming cleanser, Aquaphor (for the first day if necessary as I am prone to breakouts), and Elta MD moisturizers with and without sunscreen. I was instructed to gently wash my face twice daily and apply moisturizer heavily until my skin has peeled.

I have posted "before" pictures with makeup; the scarring is more clear when I wear makeup and cannot be seen as clearly in pictures without. I am looking for improvement in scar depth, not as much in pigmentation. My pigmentation issues have mostly been resolved from previous laser treatment and use of retin-a.

Day 2

Redness has increased and skin is super itchy since I woke up this morning. Overall, not too much discomfort has been experienced since a couple hours after the numbing cream wore off yesterday. It was slightly hard to sleep last night with so much lotion on my skin but not as bad as ointment for sure! I've washed my face twice since the procedure as instructed; I experienced slight burning but it dissipated once I applied lotion.

Day 3

Dang, I am so itchy!!! My skin is starting to flake a little bit. I can't wait for this skin to peel off! My skin is more swollen and much much more red today but isn't hurting at all. I have been taking allergy meds to try to help with the itch but it hasn't helped much. It was really difficult to sleep last night... I can't wait to peel already!!!

Day 4

My skin is less itchy today but is breaking out around my chin. I may call the Dr today to see if I can get an antibiotic if it starts looking worse. I had a bad reaction last time I did a laser treatment and broke out horribly. Fingers crossed I don't need the antibiotic! I am also a little swollen around my eyes today but not badly. I want to just peel and heal, already! :)

My skin is flaking all over my face and the MENDS the doctor spoke to me about is starting to crop up on my forehead and temples. I don't see any elsewhere; hopefully that means I don't have any damage everywhere else! I use sunscreen a lot but my forehead sometimes burns.

Will update again tomorrow!

Day 6

I ended up calling the doctor's office on Friday because my face was really starting to break out badly. They put me on doxycycline for a week. My acne is healing (finally) but boy, did it hurt at first!! They also told me to discontinue the Elta MD intense moisturizer, use my own moisturizer, and decrease the frequency of the moisturizer.

My face has almost completely peeled and is much less red this morning. I would have updated over the weekend but my breakout was so bad that I didn't want to. Overall, I don't notice a huge difference in texture but collagen takes a couple of months to develop so I will be patient! I will say that my skin looks so much healthier so far and is not nearly as rough looking as it was when I had my last laser treatment done. I'm really happy so far!!

8 days

My skin looks great! The antibiotic is clearing my breakout fairly quickly. My skin is still a little drier than usual but, otherwise, is healing fantastically! I will update about texure results prior to my next laser treatment.

3 months later with makeup

I haven't seen any improvement with scar depth which I expected since this was a light treatment. I am wearing makeup because it is harder to see my scar depth without it. I am hoping to have another treatment done in late December. If I do, it will be a much deeper treatment so I should see improvement on scar depth afterwards.

3 month before and after pics

Not much of a difference at all with scar depth. My skin is a lot lighter and smoother overall though!

Laser with caution!

I am updating to urge members to laser with caution. My acne scarring dramatically improved from laser treatment (not this specific laser but the one I had done prior); my friends and family saw a noticeable change. I do want to warn others, however, that I did have negative side effects that I have been correcting over the past year... The worst side effect was substantial fat loss after my intense Matrix CO2 laser treatment in the worst/deepest areas of my scarring. I couldn't tell what had changed in my face after the laser treatment but I felt less confident in some ways... I gradually realized (only after really examining my face) that the loss of volume in my face was fairly drastic. I have had to fill in these atrophied areas with voluma (a facial filler) to regain volume in my face as it never returned when I gained back weight I had lost from stress.

If I were able to go back, I might have tried other methods before hopping into laser treatment. I really encourage others to look into subcision and fat transfer as potential options before trying laser...

While I am still happy with my improved scarring, it has been a long road!! I am going to change my review to "not sure" instead of worth it as others have experienced the same side effects as I have and they greatly regret their procedures. Please know that there are treatments to improve laser damage but they can be expensive. Good luck!!
Amy Joyner at Healing Waters