28yrs 2 Kids Later Hernia Repair, Muscle Repair and Tummy Tuck... - Charlottesville, VA

I had surgery to fix an umbilical hernia, a 2nd...

I had surgery to fix an umbilical hernia, a 2nd abdominal hernia, diastasis repair and a tummy tuck, wooo.... ( sounds like a lot). I went to a general surgeon first for a consult about my umbilical hernia after my ob/gyn told me that's what it was after my 6 wk check following my C-section. At that appt. he told me about the muscle separation and referred me to a plastic surgeon! I had no clue what I was getting into, and then I saw my PS and was told I would need a tummy tuck essentially, I have always been a thinner person so I felt REALLY guilty about it at first. After finding out I had 2 hernias I knew I HAD to get them fixed and if I didn't fix the muscles they could come back and I would have to do it all over again so that was it I had my mind set on getting whatever I needed to do done.

The first week was horrible, I had a migraine headache for 4 days from all the anesthesia and pain meds. I stayed in bed and slept in the dark, no TV or lights or anything. After 4 days I started just taking Tylenol. I felt so much better after that, and started to eat lightly. The pain wasn't so bad except walking, but after 2 C-sections it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

Week 2 - I got the drains out which were SO uncomfortable for me because I am short waisted and the binder was long and irritated where the drain tubes came out and where the stiches on my hips hit, right at my hip bones which stick out anyway. They also took out the stitches in my belly button that was created for me by my surgeon, which was so crazy to look at. Since my son was born 7 yrs ago I have had an "outtie" not knowing that it was a hernia which got worse with my second pregnancy in 2012. I felt ALOT better without the drains and then 24 hrs later I got to shower!!! YAY! It felt weird not having my binder on though. As the week went on my back was getting more sore from hunching over my neck was getting stiff from sleeping in the same position for so long.

Week 3 - I was so ready to get out of my binder, it kept bunching up and I was so itchy and uncomfortable. At my appt that week I got my stitches out and everything was healing very nice they said, I got to meet with my PS at this appt so I talked about the surgery since I didn't remember talking to her after I came out of it in the hospital. She wasn't sure pre-op if she would have to use a mesh or not, and she confirmed that she didn't have to which made me very happy, but my separation was the size of a softball!! I also was cleared to quit wearing the binder and start wearing my spanx. It felt much more comfortable.

Week 4 - This week I have felt more tightness since I can start to slowly stand upright more, and also I am experiencing some swelling and soreness in my abdomen. The numbness I felt in my belly is starting to go away so I think this is why I can feel more soreness and tightness from not wearing the binder. Today I had a freak out and called the nurse at my PS office about increased tightness and soreness in the upper abdomen which she said was normal since my body is not what I'm used to and it was going to get more tight and sore before it started to relax as time went on. She reminded me that I may be overdoing it and that I needed to be more aware of what I was doing. Its starting to really get to me that I cannot pick up my 1 yr old daughter or clean the way I like or do laundry when its piling up, but I just have to remind myself that it will all be worth it in the end. My husband has been awesome in stepping it up and doing pretty much EVERYTHING for my daughter and I just wish I could help. I go back to the Dr. next week so hopefully things will still be looking good. Hubby says my scar looks Way better and its really come along way just in the last week even.

PO Pictures

These are the first pictures I have taken myself

This week I had a follow up with the nurse practitioner, She said everything looks good, I have a hard knot at the top of my abdomen that at first thought was a suture from underneath. She said now it could be that or a blood clot that just has to resorb itself. I felt much better this week soreness and tightness wise. I also started using aquaphor and vitamin E on my scar and skin around my belly button. I no longer have to sleep with my spanx! yay! and I don't need them if Im just laying around watching tv etc. I can lift over 5 lbs. but still not allowed to pick my daughter up from a standing position ( she weighs 21lbs) hopefully at my next follow up in 4 wks Dr. Vastine will let me start picking her up. I have been doing a little more and am more confident. The swelling is worse in the evenings and I get worn out by the time I get home from work. I am very happy things are coming along nicely.

Started back to work, still dealing with swelling...

I Started back at work which isn't too bad at all, except that I get really tired by the time I get home. I also noticed that I have more swelling (esp in the upper abs) by the evening. Some days are more sore than others. Today, I got a sore spot in the upper right area. Just rubbing my hand over the area is sore and I can almost pinpoint the sport that hurts. I don't know what to think. I am using my Vitamin E on my scar and Belly button. I also seem to still have some stretch marks under the belly button that I guess aren't going to get better but we will see.

6 wks po

Charlottesville Plastic Surgeon

She is awesome, she answered all my questions throughout so far and I could tell she is good at what she does. very professional and her staff is so nice to work with! I am very happy that I had her as my surgeon.