Braces with Upper and Lower Jaw Surgery - Charlotte, NC

Since I was 10 years old, my dentist told me I...

Since I was 10 years old, my dentist told me I needed jaw surgery, especially surgery to move my lower jaw forward. My parents decided not to perform the surgery since I was so young and I'm glad they did. The technology today is amazing. I was finally at age 44, able to get the surgery performed and braces to correct years of TMJ, sinus infections, and crooked teeth from misaligned chewing. I had braces put on with Marc Allen Orthodontist in Huntersville, NC and he recommended Dr. Brian Farrell to perform upper and lower jaw surgery. He moved my lower jaw forward and my upper jaw down. The upper jaw was recommended since my teeth barely showed when I smiled. They put braces on first and after 9 months, Jaw Surgery was performed, then another 9 months of braces. All in all it took about a year and 8 months for everything to be complete. Braces were difficult, but the jaw surgery was the most difficult. It was uncomfortable especially the first month or so. After getting past the discomfort, I had a hard time with the difference in my look and face. It was a shock, but now, a year and 6 months after the surgery, i really love the results. I decided to post here on real self. I wish I had documented my entire journey, But if anyone has more questions, please let me know and I will be glad to help. My only issue after all this is I wish I had been shown digital pictures of the final outcome so I was more prepared for the physical change to my face. I still have popping sometimes in my jaw and numbing on the right side of my lip and chin. But overall, a great success. Marc Allen Orthodontist was amazing as well as Dr. Brian Farrell. Both were perfectionist and went out of their way to make my journey pleasant. Highly recommend both! My insurance covered the jaw surgery minus the deductible of $3,000. Braces were not covered and the cost was @ $5,500

New Picture

More Jaw Surgery Photos

I found my before/after orthodontist photos from their office. The last row of photos were taken after surgery and braces off, October 2015.
Huntersville Orthodontist