40 Years Old, No Kids, Much Needed Breast Reduction in 38 Days! - Canmore, AB

I've been lurking on this website since January,...

I've been lurking on this website since January, and have benefitted so much from reading about the experiences of others, that I felt I should write something too. My breasts have not always been as large as they are now. It seems like they have slowly and continually been growing all my adult life. I am now a 32/34 H/I depending on the bra. It has gotten to the point where it's very hard to find a bra in the right size that is comfortable. And when I do, it's outrageously expensive! In December 2015, I brought the subject up with my doctor. Despite years of worsening back pain and generally becoming less comfortable with my body, I never thought to mention it to a doctor. I didn't really realize that my breasts were becoming that much of a problem. I thought that I wasn't that big, and that many women are larger than me and don't seem to have a problem. I thought my back pain was caused by something else. When I started reading reviews on this website, I saw that it wasn't all in my head, and saw there are a lot of women going through the same thing. My current GP has only been my doctor for a couple of years, but she's great. I asked her if there could be a reason that my breasts continue to get bigger even though I haven't ever been pregnant and haven't gained a large amount of weight. After running some blood tests she said there was nothing wrong that would explain it. She then suggested that if it bothered me, I should think about a breast reduction because she was pretty sure I would be a candidate. I was completely surprised. I had thought about breast reduction and immediately pushed the thought away thinking there was no way that I would be a candidate. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We have provincial health care coverage, which does cover breast reduction if it is medically necessary. She did warn me that there would be a long wait list to even have a consultation. I asked her to go ahead and put in the referral, thinking I'd have plenty of time to think about it while on this very long wait list! Someone from her office called me to tell me that none of the plastic surgeons in Calgary were currently accepting any Alberta Health cases, but that there was a surgeon in Canmore that would if I was willing to drive there. I said yes! It's about an hour and 20 minute drive. I got a call from Dr. Sinclair's office the very next day to schedule my consultation for Feb 3rd. That was way faster than I expected!! I had my consultation and I really like him. He made me feel comfortable and explained the procedure, showed me pictures, answered all my questions. He said I was covered under health care for the breast reduction, but that the extra lift and lipo I would need were not covered. So I am paying that out of pocket, but I think it is still worth it! I booked the surgery for June 13, 2016. He said if I had more questions, I could make another appointment to come see him. I did that in March, after I'd had time to do more research and came up with more questions. He was very nice about answering all my questions. My biggest fear is that after the surgery they will grow again. He said there was no way to know if that was a possibility since we don't know why they keep growing now. I decided to do the surgery anyways because at least it will be an improvement for a while...but hopefully forever. :) My next biggest fear is just the thought of having surgery because I never have before. I've never been hospitalized for any reason! Dr. Sinclair said he likes to keep his patients overnight. That's fine with me because I'd rather we not have to drive so far right after surgery. While his office is in Canmore, my surgery will be at the Banff hospital, which is about another 20-30 minutes past Canmore. I have not told many people yet about the surgery. I have a feeling a lot of people will be surprised and I'll get comments like "they're not that big". They might not look like it to others, because I always dress in a way as to minimize them as much as possible! My husband, mother, and one close friend are the only people I have told, and they are all supportive. I told my boss I was having surgery so he could cover my shifts, but no one else at work knows yet. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days. It took me months of lurking here to even write something, so I have to build up to posting pictures :)

Adding pictures

I'm just adding a few before pictures

2 days away!

My surgery is Monday, only 2 days now. It seems like it's taken so long to get here...yet I can't believe it's finally almost the day! For now, I'm excited. I think I'll be a lot more nervous when I get to the hospital. I've never had surgery before. I've never even been admitted to a hospital for any reason. ????
I will try to update on Monday (if not Tuesday). I'm going to ask my husband to take pictures too, so I'll post those when I'm back home.
Good luck to everyone else having their surgery this week!

3 days postop

Hi all, I mean to write sooner, but was just too tired. I had my surgery Monday morning. Everything went really well. I woke up from anesthesia and felt pretty good. I even ate a bit of lunch. But a supper time I started feeling nauseous. Probably from all the drugs and pain pills. I stayed in the hospital overnight because the doctor wanted to make sure there was no bleeding or anything before we drove back to Calgary. I took some Gravol before the drive home, but still had to keep my eyes closed the whole time or I'd feel sick!
Yesterday (Wednesday) I just took it easy. I tried only taking Tylenol instead of the narcotics during the day and only took the narcotics at night. The pain wasn't too bad at all, so that's what I'm doing again today. The worst thing right now is my back pain. It's hurting from sleeping on my back, but there's not much I can do about that!
I will post some before and after pictures from Monday soon.
Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm still a little tired and maybe not thinking of everything useful I could write :)

pictures- day of surgery

Here are some pictures from the day of surgery (with the surgeon's markings on me).

pictures 1 day post op

here are pictures taken at the hospital the next morning.

pictures 3 days post op

here are pictures from yesterday. There is starting to be more bruising around the nipples. But I still don't have very much pain. The bruising near the armpits was the most painful.
Calgary Plastic Surgeon