I've Spent my Entire Adult Life Obese. I'm Fixing It. 39, Started at 294lbs, 5'7" (BMI of 46) - Calgary, AB

I was a "normal" weight all through high school,...

I was a "normal" weight all through high school, about 127lbs. During my first year of university, I put on 50lbs and have basically continued since then. I have spent my entire adult life obese. I'm a wife, a mom and a teacher, and my weight has affected all three areas of my life. I have surgery coming up in two weeks and currently I can't decide if I'm excited or nervous. I'm a little worried about the social aspect of things after the surgery - I've heard that the divorce rate goes through the roof. But at the same time, I have had people make assumptions about my intelligence based on my appearance, and that hurts. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!
Dr. Richdeep Gill

Dr. Gill is new with the Calgary Adult Bariatric Specialty Clinic. He has just finished his fellowship up in Edmonton. He was very approachable at our first meeting.