Years of Trying to Lose Weight, my Best Option Now - Bromsgrove, GB

Having been overweight all my life, i had lost...

having been overweight all my life, i had lost weight on so many occasions on my own, but having rheumatoid arthritis & firbromyalgia, was always difficult to keep up the exercise due to pain, now mid 50's thought this would be my best option.
had my appointment in newcastle end of march, where i was told my bmi over 50!! i weighed 21stone 2lbs, so had to do 4 weeks pre op diet, started my pre op diet 1st april, all ok, in this time had a phone call from dietician to check i was doing ok also from claire who was going to be my nurse for band fills etc, about half way through pre op diet, she rand & i explained i had lost 9lbs so far, she then said my bmi was now under 50!! i was so happy, by end of pre op diet i weighed 20 stone 3lbs.
once at the hosptial i was weighed, height checked, bloods, there was a bit of confusion over my bmi & was told they only do operations on people with bmi lower than 50. i was so stressed, as this had never been mentioned in first appointment, they said i would have to weight to be checked by anaesthetist & surgeon. about an hour later the anaesthetist came in & said there would be no problem at all for surgery. once again so happy!! a while later dr nijjar came in to see me, wasnt happy with my pre op diet & actually asked if i had followed it!! said i had gained weight. was so upset, but said he would still go ahead.i was crying on way to theatre.
i came round in recovery room, repeating, i cant believe it, nurse sat withme whole time, even showed me photos of band fitting, what a huge relief, all went well, my liver was fine. dr nijjar came in not long after getting back to my room, said everything went well. so all in all very pleased.
was given plenty of medication to help with soreness, drinking lots of water. a bit sleepy but over the moon, it was all done, couldnt believe it!!! i was free to go home next morning, withletter for gp & liquid paracetomol.

stayed in hospital overnight, was checked several times by some lovely nurses. my favourite was Daisy!
Dr Nijjar

surgeon came to see me just before my op, then after i was back in my room. to let me know all had gone well.