} Went to my Dream Doctor - Facial Feminization Surgery review - RealSelf

Went to my Dream Doctor

So to begin, my surgery was covered by insurance...

So to begin, my surgery was covered by insurance and the process of getting them to accept insurance as payment was a painful 4 month process. I feel as if they didn't want to be bothered to actually help me to get them paid. I got hairline advancement for head contouring, brow lift, rhinoplasty, lip lift, and my jaw and chin contouring. Basically my face has always been asymmetrical but it looks even more so now. My nose is absolutely the worst I have ever seen coming from this doctor. It is bulbous and crooked. The bridge is noticeably closer to my left eye and the tip is closer to my right. This effect gives my nose the impression that it is curved off to the left of my face. I feel completely deformed still five months into my recover. This is very far from where my expectations were. I'm going to let the rest of my face be right now because I just can't take too much more surgery but I have already been looking at who there is to do my revision rhinoplasty next summer and at the one year mark I will for sure be getting this horrible nose re done.

I don't know if he was having a bad day or if I was just resented for having insurance instead of cash.

Others' opinions

Trans friends of mine have seen my results and ruled out Dr Spiegel as a choice on their list of surgeons and one who even had a date scheduled, cancelled even though she couldn't get the deposit back. It's really depressing knowing the issues aren't just in my head and that others see them too. Glad though my friend made a better informed choice I guess.

Upcoming talk

I've had several consultations with other rhinoplasty surgeons and FFS surgeons. All of them agree that I would be a candidate for revision. I still do want to talk to Dr Spiegel once more and ask of him to be honest about what he could still achieve for me. He did accomplish some improvements and I hope to feel more confident after some more work being done.
Dr Spiegel

I had left a really negative review in the months after my surgery but I feel the need to update it a bit and be pragmatic instead of emotional about it. Dr Spiegel before the surgery was a bit rushed. My friends noticed this too. He had better bedside manner when I returned for a follow up a few months later. Here's the thing. I think Dr. Spiegel is maybe too nice. I wish he was more detailed in his observations about my face and set better expectations for the outcomes. I think maybe I was blind to very glaring asymmetries in my face. I pointed a couple out to him and we discussed them but maybe I was so focused on the masculine features that the Doctor and I were unable to also look at what was and wasn't possible to achieve for achieving an attractive outcome. The work he did seemed less focused on addressing my face as a whole instead of individual procedures. Almost a year later most of my healing has passed and in looking back on pre surgical photos I want to reassess. I definitely look more feminine. This is the case. However all I can see now is the issues I had pointed out before survey which didn't really change. There's a bit of an issue with my hairline scar being a bit obvious and I can't wear my hair without my bangs covering it and sometimes filling in with eyebrow pencil. My nose still being very crooked after surgery (even with it being a lot smaller) in combination with my forehead being higher on one side has made my face look a bit odd. I hope that in my next follow up with home we can discuss these things. I know I am having revision surgery. I don't know with who yet. I want to give Dr. Spiegel the chance to slow down and answer all of my questions instead of offering constant reassurance. I will updat my review after the follow up.