What an Experience! - Beverly Hills, CA

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

This review is for actual liposuction experience...

This review is for actual liposuction experience and initial week of recovery. It is to give you a guide of what to expect during and the first few days following surgery:

I had liposuction done on my abdomen, hips and flanks. I am 27 years old and healthy. I had lost about 50 lbs about 2 years ago and although am not at my personal idea weight yet, my stomach and love handle area were still a problem. I am naturally curvy, with large chest and large hips. For my ideal shape, I want a flat midsection. (In winter, I want to be able to wear tight jeans and fitted t shirt. In the summer I want to live in bikinis!)

As for the experience, I am EXTREMELY happy with the surgeon I chose. I consulted with several and this doctor's overall approach was fantastic. He believes in preparing the body for surgery as ideally as possible in order to have a successful surgery and optimal results. Two weeks prior to surgery, he had me take a specific type of multi vitamin and he advised me on a general diet. He prescribed very powerful painkillers (Norco) and acourse of antibiotics (Keflex). A couple of days before surgery he had me begin taking arnica pills (Traumeel) in order to help with bruising. For the night before surgery, he provided me with a super potent antioxidant drink (Vemma).

The morning of surgery: of course I was extremely nervous: this was my first surgery ever. It took place at a full surgery center near my doctor's office. I was given full anesthesia by a highly accredited anesthesiologist from Cedars Sinai Hospital. I wanted to know NO part of what was happening in that room. I went into a beautiful, 3.5 hour sleep, only to awake skinny and wrapped up.

Day of surgery: My wonderful doctor brought me a branded tote bag full chicken soup, some snacks, post op caregiver instructions, patient instructions, and a gift certificate for a facial in their office. (The little things!) Foam pads and compression garment were put on me before I was taken home. My surgery was at 7 AM. So by the time I was brought home at around 1 PM, I was still woozy from the anesthesia, in some pain and starving. I had some chicken broth, took my painkiller and antibiotics and drank LOTS of fluids: water and gatorade for the electrolytes. This was to ensure that the anesthesia was flushed out of my system quickly.
My doctor called around 7 PM to check on me. Everything was going as planned.

Day 1 Post Op:
With the painkillers, I was able to get good sleep in a position I finally found comfortable enough. I'm normally a stomach sleeper. Not this week!!). There was some drainage and blood from the puncture areas. I had my post op doctor's appointment. Standing after sitting or laying down for a while is the worst today. It is extremely painful and a slow process. My doctor took off the foam pads and wrap for a few minutes to look at the initial results. I was only able to keep it off for about a minute before feeling light headed and nauseous. It was wrapped right back on. I had large areas of bruising above and below the surgery areas-very little ON the areas, my upper back, upper torso, my butt and my thighs being the worst. My thighs had swollen intensely. Everything looked in order, except for a crease right above my belly button. I was told it would flatten out eventually. Aside from that, I was told I look great considering I had just had surgery the previous day.
The rest of this day was spent resting and going in and out of sleep.

Day 2 Post Op: I was starting to feel more like myself again. I was able to walk around the house a little longer. Thighs still VERY swollen. Back also very swollen. Wrap and pads came off for about 15 glorious, beautiful minutes. The garment is very tight, uncomfortable and hard to get used to. My skin felt very tender, sensitive and numb.

Day 3 Post Op: I was almost completely off the painkiller, only taking it at night in order to sleep easily. Pads and compression garment still being worn. Removed for about 30 minutes to shower. (First shower since surgery-best shower of my life!) Still very swollen.

Day 4 Post Op: I am able to shower again, pads and compression garment removed for about 30 minutes or so. I am more mobile. I am able to lift myself up from laying down/sitting down position much easier. I was able to go out to the mall for about 2 hours. (But was very tired by the end of it and took a 1 hour nap).

Updates to follow!

3 weeks after

So at the 2 week mark, I was getting extremely concerns about a deep crease forming above my belly button (that was not there pre-op).

I emailed my doctor photos and voiced my concern. He called right away and moved my scheduled appointment earlier. He told me that it was caused by scar tissue and my skin's laxity (having lost 45 lbs in the past 2 years had taken a toll on my skin). So he numbed the area and and with a needle, he went under my skin and broke apart the scar tissue.
It has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the crease!! (The area is still bruised and Traumeel is helping).

He is going to do this treatment again in one week. Hopefully it will help even more!
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful