Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy - Beverly Hills, CA

I found out 6 months ago that I was BRCA 2...

I found out 6 months ago that I was BRCA 2 mutation carrier. A happily married woman at the young age of 30 with 2 children, this news struck me pretty hard. A quite petite body and a natural 32DD, I was sad knowing I would never have full feeling in my breasts again. I was sad when I thought about never being able to breastfeed my future children. But, after undergoing a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy in August 2015, the saddest part of this entire journey is that I will no longer be seeing Dr. Orringer every week.
Two plastic surgeons told me they had to take my nipple and areola. They showed me where the scars would be; across or down-that was the only choice I had. Dr. Orringer on the other hand, was so revolutionary in his approach in how to obtain the most aesthetic results. He saved my skin. He tightened it up, like Barbie. He kept my areola. He made nipples out of them. He spent 7 hours during the implant exchange operation ensuring everything was perfect.
Following each of my 3 procedures, I was exhausted and in pain. At my post-op visits he would say how blown away he was at my amazing recovery and kept calling me “Superwoman”. For me, it became a psychological game of “Fake It Till You Make It”. I pushed myself to get better just to impress Dr. Orringer. The conversations and jokes my husband and I shared with him made me look forward to my appointments; they literally were the highlight of my week. The front office staff made me feel like I was the most important person to walk through that door. Dr. Orringer’s positive attitude and the level of care and attention I received is undeniably unmatched in the medicine world.
My breasts that Dr. Orringer reconstructed are astonishingly beautiful. Sports Illustrated-Swimsuit, Maxim magazine material, yet so natural looking. One would never know I had a mastectomy. These 6 months of procedures weren’t an emotional rollercoaster journey, but rather an adventure; one that I look back and have only incredible memories, and it is because of Dr. Jay S. Orringer. God’s gift to the world.
Anonymous