Do Not Go to Dr. Shafer - Boston, MA

My experience with Dr. Shafer was a complete...

My experience with Dr. Shafer was a complete nightmare. I would seriously caution anyone considering going to her for surgery. She seems rushed, unsympathetic and at some points I felt like she was just down right mean. I don't think she had any bedside manner and zero empathy for what I was going through. She may be a brilliant surgeon but my impression is that its all about the money and nothing to do about caring for the patient. I was taken off of my Tamoxifan and during my follow up never told me to restart taking it. That reaked havoc on my emotions! I was upset and was speaking with my husband in one of the rooms for only a few minutes, she opened the door and said - you have to go, we need this room. She never told me after giving me wound vac treatment that 3 x a week, sponge would be removed (painfully) from my chest!! I had no idea and on the first appointment with the Visiting Nurse, I thought I was having some barbaric ritual performed on me!!! When I went for my follow up, Dr. Shafer put the wound vac dressing on incorrectly and instead of sucking the sponge, my tissue was being sucked. Painful!! The doctor and nurse separately asked me, "who did this," appalled! They were surprised it was Dr. Shafer. I am still so upset about how poorly I was treated at a very difficult time. I am so happy to be back with my kind, professional and understanding surgeon at Mass General.
Boston Plastic Surgeon