Hooded Eyelids - Gone!

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Have had hooded eyelids most of my life and they...

Have had hooded eyelids most of my life and they continued to get worse. Everyone always asked if I was tired, and I hated having photos taken unless I had on sunglasses. For years I've wanted to have a bleph, and finally pulled the trigger this March, at age 53.

I had two distinctive panic periods - the first in the pre-op visit, signing off on all the waivers (death, disfigurement, loss of eyesight etc.) and a few days after surgery, when I looked at my stitched eyelids in the mirror and realized left someone take a knife to my eyes! But my surgery and recovery were uneventful.

I had the surgery on a Friday morning and thought I was having a local, but was happy to be knocked out when Dr. Richards knew I was nervous about being awake. I went into the operating room at 8:30 am and the last thing I remember was a warm blanket on me. Next thing, I woke up at 2 pm in my bed at home with my husband looking over me. I was up and about the next day but hid out at home for a week (friends visited and didn't mind the stitches). I took two preventive Vicodin the first day -- but really never had any pain. Followed all post-op instructions (sleep inclined, cold washcloth compresses) and felt fine during my stay-cation. Books on tapes helped due to blurry near-vision. Stitches taken out on day 6, and then I gently massaged the remaining scabs off with a wet soapy (baby shampoo) finger.

I took at week off work (10 days from surgery date) and wish I had taken off a few more days since I was self-conscious of my scars (although not visible with eyes open) and my near-vision was still blurry. I am at week 6, and have faint pink scar lines with my eyes closed. No more blurry vision and usually forget I had this done until I run into someone who says -- you look great, what did you do? It is subtle enough that they don't know what I did! I wish I had done it 10 years ago.

I highly recommend Dr. Richards -- he is very nice and calm. He didn't promise complete symmetry (one of my eyes was much droopier than the other) and told me I would look natural -- and I do! He and Joanne followed up and answered follow up questions by call or email very quickly.