Hooded Eyelids - Gone!

Have had hooded eyelids most of my life and they...

Have had hooded eyelids most of my life and they continued to get worse. Everyone always asked if I was tired, and I hated having photos taken unless I had on sunglasses. For years I've wanted to have a bleph, and finally pulled the trigger this March, at age 53.

I had two distinctive panic periods - the first in the pre-op visit, signing off on all the waivers (death, disfigurement, loss of eyesight etc.) and a few days after surgery, when I looked at my stitched eyelids in the mirror and realized left someone take a knife to my eyes! But my surgery and recovery were uneventful.

I had the surgery on a Friday morning and thought I was having a local, but was happy to be knocked out when Dr. Richards knew I was nervous about being awake. I went into the operating room at 8:30 am and the last thing I remember was a warm blanket on me. Next thing, I woke up at 2 pm in my bed at home with my husband looking over me. I was up and about the next day but hid out at home for a week (friends visited and didn't mind the stitches). I took two preventive Vicodin the first day -- but really never had any pain. Followed all post-op instructions (sleep inclined, cold washcloth compresses) and felt fine during my stay-cation. Books on tapes helped due to blurry near-vision. Stitches taken out on day 6, and then I gently massaged the remaining scabs off with a wet soapy (baby shampoo) finger.

I took at week off work (10 days from surgery date) and wish I had taken off a few more days since I was self-conscious of my scars (although not visible with eyes open) and my near-vision was still blurry. I am at week 6, and have faint pink scar lines with my eyes closed. No more blurry vision and usually forget I had this done until I run into someone who says -- you look great, what did you do? It is subtle enough that they don't know what I did! I wish I had done it 10 years ago.

I highly recommend Dr. Richards -- he is very nice and calm. He didn't promise complete symmetry (one of my eyes was much droopier than the other) and told me I would look natural -- and I do! He and Joanne followed up and answered follow up questions by call or email very quickly.