Early Menopause Due to Breast Cancer Treatment. Barrington, IL

After undergoing treatment for breast cancer, the...

After undergoing treatment for breast cancer, the estrogen blocking drugs put me into menopause at 50. Although I am fortunate to have not had any side effects like hot flashes, weight gain, mood changes, etc. I did start to experience vaginal dryness and just hated using messy lubricants that didn't last long enough. I heard about MonaLisa from my naturopath and decided to give it a try. Riding the reviews here also helped me go into it with some background knowledge. I just had the first treatment yesterday and it was vey quick and fairly painless. There's just a little twisting sensation that on occasion was uncomfortable, but over quickly. I had a little spotting last night and this morning, but no residual discomfort, itching or pain. My doctor told me that sessions 2 and 3 now include work on the external area and for that I will get a numbing cream prior to treatment, and may need to use it for 2-3 days afterward. I workout 6 days a week and was told for those 2 times, I'd need to take a couple of days off so there may be a bit more discomfort but we'll see! I'll update as I have news on how things are coming along.

2nd treatment done

Just wanted to provide an update on treatment #2 which I just had today. The doctor used numbing cream on the outer area this time, since she treated that as well. It burned at first but only for a few seconds and then I waited about 25 minutes for things to get numb. The treatment this time was even easier than the first - I barely felt the twisting and only one time. On the outside, I didn't feel any laser at all until just at the end (which was super quick) and it must have been an area that didn't get the numbing cream so it was like a quick snap but then it was over. I have light spotting but no other pain at this time, and the numbing cream has all worn off. I will be keeping it covered with Aquaphor (and can use the numbing cream if needed, but I don't think I'll have to) for a couple of days, and then i should be able to return to exercise and running. I'll post an update in a few days. No sex for 7 days so I won't be able to update that for a while :) So far, so good!

Quick follow up on treatment #2

My recovery from round 2 was super easy. No spotting after the first day and no pain or soreness at all. I was told to wait 2 days for exercise, but I honestly think I could have done so right away. About 3 weeks post, we attempted sex...I will say the outer area and first inch or so in were much more lubricated. Beyond that was still pretty painful so I'm going to ask about that. I will say though that I didn't have any spotting after which I had been experiencing with sex. I wonder if some of the problem is lack of use LOL and muscles that just don't want to open up. Tomorrow is my last treatment, will update again soon.

Round 3 complete!

Finished round 3 end of June. The treatment was again quick and painless. Right after there was burning as the numbing cream wore off (I think this happened after #2 as well) but it went away after about 10 mins. Dr Warren said the latest protocol is to do a 4th treatment and to let her know after 6 weeks how things are going. I have been traveling every week since then for work, often including the weekends so I haven't had a chance to give it a go yet LOL. Everything feels fine and I think plumper and moister, so we'll see in a couple weeks when I'm home and have more time with my hubby. Dr did say to continue using lubricant even after treatment but it should last longer, and maybe need less. I will update again when I have more to share!
Dr Anne Warren

Dr Warren is very calm and personable, and made me feel very comfortable about the procedure. She explained every step in detail and addressed all my questions.