This Dentist is Dangerous - Austin, TX

Under advice of my attorney, I will only say that...

Under advice of my attorney, I will only say that I had a very bad experience at Sola Dental under the care of Tom Gent. Dr. Gent, a provider whom I decided to trust with my teeth and my health, hurt me--very badly--through a 9-month series of surgeries that was supposed to make my mouth healthier. Despite what he claimed, he knew very little about the procedures I allowed him to perform, leaving my good teeth--and the surrounding bone--a distant memory.

When I first came to Sola Dental, I needed to replace four teeth with implants. I now have 8 natural teeth left. I am disfigured, unable to chew, and am wearing a removable denture as I endure more painful and expensive reconstructive surgeries to repair what Gent destroyed. This experience has greatly affected my appearance, health, personal life, and finances for 16 months now.

If I could turn back the clock, I would in a heartbeat. This is not the way I planned to spend two years of my life. On the bright side, (if there is one after you now have the face of an 85-year-old without teeth), I have a great attorney who specializes in dental malpractice, and Gent has been under state investigation for standard of care and patient safety issues stemming from my case. Hopefully this will keep other patients safe, at least for a while, because this could definitely happen again.

Photos of Damage

FYI--I have included some photos so you can get an idea of what lies ahead for you if you venture into Sola of an implant that was mistakenly placed near the OUTER CURVE of my jaw (he screwed a removable bridge over the handiwork so I didn't know about it until my oral surgeon saw it on an X-ray!), and another of what I think was Gent's first lingual frenectomy, done with a scalpel while an assistant held my tongue. No pain meds, during or after, as my heart beat out of my chest and I gagged on blood. I couldn't speak or eat for two days. Over a year later, the jagged scar still throbs, gets red, and bleeds. Did you know that lingual frenectomies are usually done with lasers now, and are typically referred to those with adequate experience to perform them? I didn't...until it was too late.

Good times.

Update for Clarification

I wrote a review on disastrous and painful work done by dentist Dr. Tom (Thomas) Gent at Sola Dental in Austin, Texas. All of the information regarding my horrible experience, injuries, and cost and time required for restorative surgeries and recoveries is absolutely true, and the photos of surgical mistakes are of my mouth.

The Aftermath of Being A Malpractice Victim of Dr. Thomas Gent at Sola Dental of Austin...

What happens after you've suffered under a treatment provider who has lied, put you in danger, and mangled your jaw? After some brutal surgeries, much of the damage Dr. Gent caused is in a state of repair, and I am able to chew again. My lawyer is communicating with his, and we are planning on filing a lawsuit fairly soon. Hopefully, the financial hardship Dr. Gent's inexperience and lies have cause will be remedied.

I know now that one problem will never be resolved.

I am now unable to trust any medical or dental provider, and I don't know if I ever will. How can I know if a care provider is shooting straight, or if they are lying with a smile on their face like Dr. Gent so often did? How can I ever know if I am receiving proper care, or if I am being harmed? I don't think I can.

It's time to take my teen son for dental care, and the thought chills me to the bone.

Dr. Thomas Gent and Sola Dental of Austin will ALWAYS chill me to the bone. I hate to think of other potential victims who walk into that place having no idea about the harm that may come to them.

Terrifying, and chilling. This is a hidden cost of malpractice to malpractice victims. Avoid Dr. Thomas Gent, AND Sola Dental of Austin, like the plague.

It's Time: I Am Officially Suing Dr. Thomas Gent of Sola Dental for Severe Injuries and Disfigurement

We're about to officially file suit against Dr. Thomas (Tom) Gent of Sola Dental in Austin for his macabre butchering of my mouth over 9 months of surgeries.

He and his insurance company have been dragging their feet on even locating expert opinions on my case, because they all know it's going to be REALLY BAD for "Dr." Gent.

He is still under investigation by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners for the extensive, life-changing harm and disfigurement he caused me.

After all this time, Dr. Tom Gent is still proving that he is unable to accept responsibility for his actions and that he nurtures a "God"-like complex where he never makes any mistakes and shouldn't have to apologize. I imagine he still thinks I was blessed to have his hands on me.

Me? I'm heading into another reconstructive surgery in two weeks, with another big cash payment I don't have.

At least when we file suit, it will be a matter of public record FOREVER that this creep hurts people by chopping away at good teeth and bone for the sake of experimental, on-the-job training.

I can only hope with all my heart that he loses his licence.

Only then will justice be served.
Austin Dentist

The above sums it up. I will say that after my oral surgeon told Dr. Gent about all of the damage, I never heard another word from him. It is costing me $80,000 to repair the damage done by Gent.