Unilateral Mastectomy with Delayed Reconstruction. Asheville, NC

I had breast implants since 1989 and had them...

I had breast implants since 1989 and had them replaced in 2006. (size D) Last December, I was diagnosed with cancer in my left breast. I had a mastectomy in February. I didn't have reconstruction immediately because we were wanting to see if I needed radiation or chemo. Thankfully, I did not. In April, I had an expander put in. I told the doctor that I wanted to go down to a C cup. Well, because my skin is thin and the doctor over-filled me, my skin separated. Last Tuesday, (Sept 7th) I had the implant removed and replaced with an expander/implant with a port. This one is saline and will gradually be filled over the next couple of months. If this doesn't hold, he said he would have to do a Latissimus Dorsi Flap Had the doctor me that this could have happened because of my "thin skin", I would have gladly sized down to a B cup. I hope this saves someone from having to go through what I did. Sorry the last two photos are sideways.

Five days post- op saline expander/implant

Well, I have to be honest and say I have been a bit depressed since this last surgery. It has been hard to accept mentally that I have to start all over when I was at the end. I feel foolish being upset since I am healthy and no longer have cancer, but I do. The friend that brought me to surgery said the doctor told him that he was going to only inject enough saline to make a B cup while leaving the other side a C. That is not acceptable. I guess I'll see what he says tomorrow.
Thanks for listening.
Take care!

After 1st injection

My post op visit included my first injection. I am going to go slow and keep an eye on my skin.

After 2nd injection

Here I am after my second injection. Going slow at 60cc per visit.

My third injection

My doctor has me massaging my expander/implant pushing towards the middle of my chest. Hopefully the pocket hasn't closed.

Port got infected.....had to remove

After having my expander/tissue for just over a month, I had to have my port removed. I woke up Sunday morning and felt terrible. My port was leaking pus and that area and around my breast was swollen and red, now to mention Very tender. I left a message with my doctor, and he wanted to see me first thing in the morning. After he had a look, he gave me my last injection, then removed my port. I was prescribed Bactrim . If the infection is there after a week, he wants to remove the implant. In order to have another breast, I would have to have a Latissimus Dorsi Flap reconstruction. Which is more surgery than I want to put myself through and will opt No More surgery.

A week after my port Had to be taken out....so does my implant

My reconstruction has wore me out emotionally. I feel my doctor did a disservice to by Not informing me about the consequences of "thin skin" and reconstruction. At the beginning of this, I had a size D implant) and a flat size from a mastectomy. I told him I didn't want "big breasts" any more. As you can see from my previous pictures, he filled that expander until my skin looked like it could pop.
My skin is ruined on that side, and yesterday, he in formed me I needed to have Latissimus Dorsi Flap surgery. I am horrified because had he not done a mini tt while I had my reconstruction surgery, I could have used that skin because I had a little pouch. I am thin and don't have much to take from my back.
When my skin split a month after my reconstruction, he had told me "I've seen this before". I cannot believe he would let this happen again!!! Dr. Arnold is a nice guy, but his decisions and not informing me regarding my reconstruction were poor, to say the least.

2 weeks after implant removal

Healing up nicely. Still taking antibiotics for the infection. It looks weird, but that's okay. I am taking five or six months to heal physically and emotionally before any more surgery. I was told to gain at least fifteen pounds. Getting the mini TT when I did was a HUGE mistake. Could have used my belly fat to rebuild my left breast.

Latissmus Dorsi Flap reconstruction

After healing from two failed attempts at reconstruction, I was ready to take the next step. After finding a competent doctor, I made the appointment.
My surgery was August 10th. Lattissimus Dorsi g lap with expander. This is by far the most pain and longest recovery I've had to deal with.
Asheville Plastic Surgeon

Nice doctor. Just felt I wasn't well informed regarding the possibilities of skin separation.