I Saved the Best for Last! - Ann Arbor, MI

When the question was posed to me by my younger...

When the question was posed to me by my younger sister, "How many doctors will it take to agree with you that a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy is the way to go?" I answered "Three".
I was the patient who reluctantly agreed to genetic testing at the urging of my gynecologist-kicking and screaming, actually. I was a 57-year old female with a family history of breast and ovarian cancer...yet I was the picture of health and I didn't want my quality of life compromised in any way by the "preventative drug" he wanted to prescribe for me. I trusted him for decades....but this was a different story. The LEAST I could do was talk to a breast specialist and have the genetic testing was his advice. When the test results confirmed a genetic mutation that put me at a high risk for breast cancer, I knew I had some tough decisions to make. I consulted with not three but NINE surgeons.....I wanted to weigh EVERY option I had. I met with teams of doctors that would walk me through every step of a mastectomy and reconstruction....I researched the gene mutation ad nauseam. I wanted to be the informed, knowledgeable patient! It was my gynecologist who had initially mentioned Dr. Izenberg's name, and I decided that he would be the LAST plastic surgeon I would consult with.....it was my way of saying TAKE THAT!! When my husband accompanied me to the initial meeting with Dr. Izenberg, we were very impressed with the caring staff. I believe it is so important that the people you first come in contact with make a good first impression-caring, compassionate and happy to be doing what they are doing. The staff at the Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is 5-Star!
We found Dr. Izenberg to be exceptional, and I had 3 other plastic surgeons to compare him to! He listened patiently to my concerns and answered all of my questions, as well as my husbands. He told my husband that this surgery would be " a bump in the road" for me....and that's exactly what it was. I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expanders....and nipple sparing, which I was so pleased about. Just shy of three months later, I had the out-patient procedure for replacement of tissue expanders with permanent silicone implants. I am so pleased with the outcome. I feel whole and without the constant lingering fear of breast cancer-I have a new lease on life. My research and prayerful mindset led me to make the right decision and I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Izenberg
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon