27 with Dorsal Hump & Bulbous Tip - Albany, NY

I've been generally unhappy with my nose for...

I've been generally unhappy with my nose for years, but it has never been a big deal. Cosmetic surgery always seemed like an unaffordable luxury, entirely out of the realm of possibility so I never gave rhinoplasty serious thought.

Now I am in a position where my job affords me the disposable income and vacation time to make rhinoplasty a reality. I have read a lot of online reviews, and chose Dr. Deluca in Albany, New York to do my surgery. I live and work in Beijing, China so I will be traveling to the US for this and then sticking around for a while to visit family in New York.

I want to limit the duration of bruising after surgery as much as possible, so I know I'll need arnica. Any other suggestions are appreciated. :)

I look forward to updating after my surgery.

Day of

i came to Albany the day before my surgery to do the consult. The office is super clean and stylish; the staff is very friendly. The wait time is minimal, as is the time with Dr DeLuca. He didn't seem rushed at all, I just totally blanked on all my questions.

My surgery was at 6:30am today. Everything was very professional and nice. Talked with the whole surgical team who were understanding and reassuring in dealing with my anxiety.

Coming out of anesthesia wasn't fun. I felt super tired and my head was so fuzzy I had a hard time dealing with the necessities for getting back to the hotel. I had help, but it felt like a mental marathon. I slept most of the day propped up on a million pillows.

No pain, pressure, or discomfort yet. I am taking so many different pills. Pain killers, antibiotics, anti-nausea, arnica, and bromeline (?) all of which were prescribed by the doctor. Pills are hard to swallow for me, so that and the drip pad across my face are the more troublesome aspects of the day.

I will try to remember to take a picture each day so I can show the progression of bruising, etc.

recovery day 1

I felt okay. Less loopy from the drugs. Had my one day follow up, just to make sure everything was ok. I haven't bruised much, don't feel any pain or pressure...just a tad...full? Like when you have a runny nose but can't blow it. Still taking it easy and not terribly hungry. My mouth was dry and my throat was sore so I am only eating soft foods. Also applying ice to keep the swelling down.

My tip looks super huge. I hope it's just swelling because the rest of my nose looks smaller and a huge tip would ruin the overall look.

I was expecting recovery to be way more intense than this. So far, so good. I go back on Monday to have the cast removed.

recovery day 2

Still totally need the drip pad. The bruising under my eyes has intensified a little. Just taking it easy so I can heal.

recovery day 3

Possible tmi: I haven't used the bathroom since surgery, so I've started taking stool softeners along with all the other pills.

Today I got my hair washed at the salon and went shopping at the mall. Still eating soft foods and taking it easy. Didn't need the drip pad (otherwise I wouldn't have felt comfortable going out).

My tip still looks way too big. Hoping its swelling.

recovery day 4

I didn't take my pain meds today because I wanted to be able to drive. I've been out and about visiting friends as soon as the drip pad wasn't necessary. I have no shame..

Still following the aftercare instructions. Back up to Albany on Monday to get the cast off.

Not really puffy anymore, just have yellow bruises. Its been a really easy recovery so far. Not being able to wash my own hair has been the biggest inconvenience.

Cast off

I got my cast off yesterday. Getting the stitches removed didn't feel great. I feel like there is adhesive residue on my nose, it's slimy and sticky. Trying to be gentle about scrubbing it off.

I guess I don't need to tape my nose, bc it was never brought up. I'm surprised at the amount of swelling between my eyes/eyebrows. I'm assuming it is just swelling?

I'm reserving judgement for when everything is less swollen.

3 weeks post op

I am still avoiding exertion and glasses. I can tolerate them but they are moderately uncomfortable and cause pretty severe temporary dents in my nose from the residual swelling.

Having the tip of my nose numb is inconvenient in ways I didn't anticipate. Kissing, for example. My nose is also really oily, which is unusual.

I'm starting to become concerned that my bulbous tip wasn't addressed in the rhinoplasty...but it is possible that the swelling is still obscuring the final result. My side profile looks great through.

About one month out

All is well here in Beijing.

- Not comfortable wearing glasses yet.
- My nose is still exceptionally oily, with the tip hard and numb.
- I can blow my nose gently without any pain.
- I plan to return to light exercise in the next couple of weeks... power walking, yoga, etc.

Hoping the tip continues to decrease in size a little as residual swelling dissipates. Overall A+ experience.
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Great experience with Dr. DeLuca, his staff, and the surgical center where I had my rhinoplasty. The girls in the office we really helpful in getting everything squared away, since I live in Asia.