Black Tattoo? FORGET Picosure!! San Francisco, CA

Wow. After 10 picosure treatments, I was...

Wow. After 10 picosure treatments, I was frustrated. I have a dark, black coverup tattoo that my (now) ex hated. I bought this groupon for 3 sessions (4 Sq inch tattoo) using a Quanta Q plus C laser for $195. This laser can be used in 3 wavelengths, unlike picosure. (532, 1064, 694.) Black tattoos respond best to 1064, which picosure does not hit, although picoway does, but at a cost of approximately 10 times that of this groupon price. Oh my god.

Anyway, I went through this breakup and realized that I was removing this tattoo for her vs for me, but had already scheduled my appt. So, I went. Dr. Javaheri was the kindest person I have met in awhile. The procedure is painful for me, especially around my wrist bones, and he was very gentle and patient. He said he purchased a picosure machine and returned it the next day. He instead purchased the machine he has now, mentioned above. (said the price was basically the same, but the laser is more versatile.)
I loved that this machine had just a switch to turn on, vs the sometimes 15-20 min I had to wait at my last few clinics for the picosure to warm up. Dr. Javaheri was very experienced and adjusted the settings and laser hand pieces a few times until he was getting the result he wanted. He also said no laser can hit every color, and anyone who says so is lying. I'm thankful I decided to abandon Picosure, which was expensive and was ultimately probably a waste of money for my black tattoo. It's around 5x more expensive than the deal I got and it did NOT work for my tattoo. I don't know if it was the depth, the amount of ink, the wrong wavelength, the lack of adjustment in the machine, or all of the above, but Picosure was relatively ineffective for me. Picoway was way too expensive for me, plus at this point I don't believe the "pico" hype anymore. Period.

This new laser kicked butt, from what I can tell several days out. The redness and yellow outline is from the relative trauma of the treatment. Maybe the nano-second vs pico-second is a little easier on the tissue, but then again it barely budged my tattoo. I'll take the trauma! I never had pinpoint bleeding with picosure, but I did with this laser. But, I never saw the kind of lightening with picosure as I did with this laser. Finally!

I'm now considering, once I heal and reassess, keeping the majority of my tattoo as is, just making sure the original tattoo I was covering (a name-don't ever get a name, unless it's your kid!) is gone. Then, I want to have my son's name tattooed over what is left. That my possible plan, anyway. Time will tell.

The staff at this office were great. Easy to book, good follow up, very friendly and organized. And if I could give the Dr. 10 stars, I would. His bedside manner and empathetic nature were unsurpassed. He said he hated hurting people (he stopped to ice me several times with a neat tool he had like a roller) and said, "you know, the hippocratic oath...do no harm!" And, when I said the pain was my penance for getting the dumb original tattoo in the first place, he said, "No-you are too hard on yourself. Don't beat yourself up. You don't deserve that." I wish he was my friend! He gives good advice! :)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Javaheri and staff all so friendly and communicative. His bedside manner was exemplary. If you have a BLACK tattoo, go here! Do not waste your time with picosure/wrong wavelength.