47 Year Old Who Had a Prophylactic Nipple Sparing Mastectomy and Reconstruction

After having a mammogram, sonogram and many...

After having a mammogram, sonogram and many biopsies in October, 2015, the doctors diagnosed me with atypical hyperplasia in both breasts. Since both my mother and my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer, I was at a significantly increased risk for breast cancer. Even though I tested negatively for the BRACHA gene, I had a 50% chance of getting breast cancer in my lifetime. I decided to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy. Looking back on it now, I know that I made the right decision. I no longer need to worry about getting breast cancer.
New York Plastic Surgeon

In April, 2016, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy and reconstruction. Dr. Tanna was my plastic surgeon. He is an outstanding doctor and very knowledgable in his profession. During the consultation visit, Dr. Tanna explained my procedures in terms that I was able to understand. He even drew pictures to enhance my understanding. Dr. Tanna answered all of my concerns and questions no matter how silly I thought they might have been. One late afternoon, after his secretary had left for the day, I needed to speak with him. I texted him with his cell number he shares with his patients. Within an hour, Dr. Tanna called me to answer my questions and to put my mind at ease for the following day's exchange surgery. In addition, Dr. Tanna reassured and re-explained everything minutes before my surgeries. The nurses, secretaries, and staff who work in Dr. Tanna's office are very welcoming, and compassionate. They, too, answered some concerns that I had. If you need extended doctor letters for work, Dr. Tanna's personal secretary is very accommodating, professional, and timely. Prior to finding Dr. Tanna, I was referred to plastic surgeons who did not participate in any insurance. I was relieved to have found such an excellent, caring surgeon who participates in my insurance. Without hesitation, I would highly recommend Dr. Tanna to my family and friends.