Is Zumba Good for People with Liposuction on Their Legs?

I have been told by people that Zumba is not a good exercise for people with lipo on their legs. That the jumping is not good for the skin. People who have had lipo before have been adviced to do strengh training instead or Pilates. Is this true?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Zumba Exercise and Liposuction?

Thank you for your question. A diversity of exercise is good. Strength training and aerobic should be done each week at least 5-6 times each. This will build both aspects and improve. 3 times a week just maintains your level of fitness. This must be combined with a healthy diet focusing on a balanced approach, and not an extreme diet in any direction. A good rule to follow is 50% complex carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein, and avoid red meat, focus on fish and chicken, turkey, whole grains, legumes I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Liposuction -- Los Angeles

Zumba is an excellent exercise regimen after liposuction and can help tone results. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Zumba and Liposuction and Skin Effects

As long as you have healed from the liposuction, exercise is appropriate.  As a bodybuilder I am pretty well informed on a wide variety of exercises, and I am not sure that any one exercise is better or worse than the other for skin laxity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA