Would a tummy tuck help for upper abdominal muscle pain?

I've had numerous tests done (GI, MRI, XRAY, Pelvic exams, Bloodwork etc.) to rule out any underlying health issues and all have been neg. I've been seeing a pt for over a year and we do a lot of stretching and breathing to try and stretch the muscle but I get little relief. I can't wear a regular bra, tight clothing because if anything touches the muscles i'm in pain. would a tt to repair the muscles help?

Doctor Answers 3

Would a tummy tuck help for upper abdominal muscle pain?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  Rarely does performing any surgery for "pain" result in any improvement for patients.  I am sorry to hear of your continued negative work-up but would continue to work with your doctors to diagnose the cause of your muscle pain in order to then determine an appropriate treatment.  

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Will tummy tuck relieve pain?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There may be more to your condition than presently known. I have treated many people (men and women alike) who had small hernias and pain that were not detected by routine diagnostic studies. A physical exam by one who does tummy tucks and hernia repair both is a good start. If there is a sole pain focus, a diagnostic lidocaine injection can determine if it is a pinched nerve or a pain trigger point. I hope that you are able to get this sorted out so that your pain can be relieved.When you consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon, make certain that your surgeon can demonstrate plenty of experience dealing with your condition.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Tummy Tuck Muscle Tightening and Chronic Pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A surgical procedure will not reverse or improve a condition which cannot be diagnosed by imaging modalities. It sounds as if you have a chronic pain syndrome such as fibromyalgia. The lady thing you want to do is have s tummy tuck to relieve it. I would seek out s good pain specialist in your community who would try a variety of medical treatments until finding what would work best for you. 

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.