Will Zeltiq treatment to reduce fat make cellulite look worse?

I am not looking for Zeltiq as a solution for cellulite. I would specifically like to know if there are any reports of it making cellulite worse? I would like to have it on my thighs but have cellulite and don't want to make the cellulite look worse.

Coolsculpting and Cellulite

Interestingly it won’t make it worse like liposuction can but I would not use it as a treatment for cellulite either. Cellfina is now FDA-approved for longterm cellulite improvement and is a device that releases the fibrotic strands so that the tissue can be less dimpled. It works really well for focal dimples!

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Cellulite

Coolsculpting is a nonsurgical fat reduction procedure. It will not have a direct impact on cellulite, but by removing the fat around the cellulite it may appear better than prior to treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool Sculpting should not make Cellulite worse

Cellulite is the results from the concoctions to the dermis.  Cool Sculpting works on the fat and doesn't have a result that would change cellulite or make it worse.

Zeltiq treatment and Cellulite

Zeltiq coolsculpting will definitely not make your cellulite worse.  It should have absolutely no effect on cellulite.  Zeltiq is not indicated on the thighs.  Thermage is the indicated treatment on the thighs and will definitely help make your cellulite look better.  Thermage has the new CPT total tip which has deeper penetration and allow skin tightening on all areas of the body and improvement of cellulite.  For the best cosmetic result please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetic procedures especially Thermage.

Michele S. Green, MD

Will Zeltiq CoolSculpting make cellulite look worse?

I am not aware of any reports of CoolSculpting making cellulite worse, or of it making it better.  The CoolSculpting procedure should just affect the fat.  In treatments that I have performed, I have not seen a change in cellulite.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Cellulite

I would never perform CoolSculpting on someone whose goal was to reduce cellulite rather than fat.  However, having said something you already seem to know, what I would say is that I cannot think of a reason why cellulite, which is thought to be due to tethering of the deep to superficial layers of the skin via vertical bands in the fat, would do anything other than stay the same or get better. (Think of a pillow puckered by buttons, which has some of its stuffing removed.) The bands could become less tethered as the fat layer becomes thinner, or even be stretched a bit by the vacuum action.

Well-controlled studies of this issue have not been performed.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD