Can Zeltiq (CoolSculpting) Be Used for Fat Pockets at the Inside of the Knees?

I exercise 4x's weekly (past 7 yrs) and am very thin/toned- except for knees, and some stubborn back of thigh fat...

CoolSculpting on fat pockets at inside of knees

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. Knees can be a challenge with any modality. CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.

CoolSculpting for Fat Pockets at the Inside of the Knees

The FDA has not approved coolsculpting for the knees. Consult with a board certified physician who can provide surgical options and coolsculpting to determine the best treatment plan for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Not For Knee Area

Unfortunately, there isn't an applicator that can fit the contour of the knee area. The treated area needs to have pliable fat in order to be suctioned into the applicator to bring the fat cells closer to the cooling panels for adequate treatment.

The back of the thighs could possibly be treated with the new CoolSmooth applicator. It is best to have a consultation to determine if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Coolsculpting for knees

At this time, I don't think that the applicator would be able to fit in that area.  The company is researching different handpieces and so I would suggest waiting until the handpiece is specific for that area.

Zeltiq CoolSculpting for fat removal of abdomen and love handles not knees

The FDA gave clearance for fat treatment with Zeltiq CoolSculpting for the love handles and the applicators can be used on the abdomen and off-label areas if the physician finds that the applicators can fit the desired area of treatment.  The knees have bony contours and small areas that would not work with the current applicators of Zeltiq.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for the Medial Knees

Dear Writer, CoolSculpting has proven extremely successful for fat reduction on the abdomen, love handles and back. It treats the fat on the thighs depending on the shape of the fatty pocket and whether it will fit properly in the applicator, in order to achieve a good result. There is no applicator at the present time for the fat localized on the inside or medial aspect of the knees, but the Zeltiq company is currently working on new additional applicators that could be used in a number of body areas. Congratulations on a great excercise routine and healthy lifestyle! Be patient; the knee applicator should probably be coming soon. Good Luck!

Coolscultping for the legs

Coolsculpting works great for the abdomen and back fat. Supposedly the thigh chamber will be available by October 2011. However, behind the knees is not an area I would recommend treating. I would suggest you show to a dermatologist for their opinion.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon