What Would I Need to Do to Look Younger After Weight Loss? (photo)

I'm 33 but people say I look 45 and up. I'm frequently told I look tired and "older," and if my hair is hidden I'm mistaken for a man at first glance. Can you please tell me what procedures I could get to look my age, and look more feminine? I think I need to correct my nasolabial folds, acne scars, and the puffy areas beneath my eyes. I also lost 50 lbs and lots of fat in my cheeks, this may have slightly deepened the grooves around my mouth. I do have overbite, would braces help correct this?

Doctor Answers 6

Facial aging and possible rejuvenation surgery

When I see patients for complaints of facial aging I explain to them that aging essentially occurs in three ways on the face; there is typically volume depletion, loss of elasticity, and gravitational changes.  When recommendations are made for rejuvenation, usually there are some combination of procedures to combat those three problems.  When I look at your photographs, which, by the way, is a less than ideal method of evaluating your face, it appears that you may have some volume depletion and mild sagging.  Additionally, I can see some acne scarring on both cheeks.  You may benefit from structural fat grafting and/or injectable fillers. You might also benefit from a modified facelift. I would be very reluctant to perform any serious resurfacing of your skin because of the risk that is associated with this procedure on African-Americans. finally, without sounding too presumptuous, a rhinoplasty to thin your nose may aid in giving you a more feminine appearance.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Facial rejuvenation

Congratulations on losing all that weight!  I think that an in office exam is critical. But facial deflation can be improved with either fat injection or facial fillers. If necessary facelifting techniques may be helpful of they do not help.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Facial deflation after weight loss with sagging skin.

Facial deflation after weight loss with sagging skin can be improved with a facelift and fat or tissue filling of the nasolabial creases and a chin implant. You may or may not consider refinement of your nose.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Correcting Weight-Loss Related Facial Deflation and Sagging

You have an attractive pear shaped face that can be made much more attractive. The ideal way to correct your facial deflation a sagging (as evidenced by the deep Nasolabial folds) is with a Facelift with fat grafting around the lower lid cheek junction and placement of a chin implant to increase the verical height of the chin. No other procedure can match its results. If you are unable to have it, you may wish to consider using fillers to the cheek lower lid junction and nasolabial folds.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 108 reviews

Your best bet is a facelift

For your photos, I would say that you would get your more substantial improvement from a facelift with additional volume enhancement than anything else.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

Face Surgery after Weightloss

If you choose a surgical route, I would suggest a facelift to improve the contour of your face and neck, a chemical peel or microdermabrasion to improve the texture of your skin, and a chin implant to help give more definition to your lower face.  If you chose a non-invasive route, there are some nice changes that can be made with dermal fillers in the cheeks and the jaw line, Also microdermabrasion or chemical peel would help with your skin texture.    Latisse for your eyelashes and eyebrows will them make the lashes thicker and darker and add to an overall youthful look.


Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.