Am I Too Young for Nasiolabial Fillers? ~ 18 Years Old

My nasiolabial folds have been bugging me for a long time and I've been thinking about this for awhile. Also, my nasiolabial folds aren't that bad, they could be much worse - in this case, will the fillers have a longer effect on me? Thank you very much, Luca

Doctor Answers 8

Am I Too Young for Nasiolabial Fillers? ~ 18 Years Old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without a photo provided it's very difficult to determine how deep the nasolabial folds are. Fillers usually last 6-8 months but you will see a significant difference, I suggest finding a medical provider who is a certified advanced injector and is very comfortable with facial contouring.

Best wishes 

Filler for the nasolabial folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In general, filler in that area lasts 6-7 months on average. 18 is quite young to be considering filler for that area, but each patient has their own individual circumstances. Perlane or Radiesse generally work fantastic for the nasolabial folds. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. He/she will be able to examine you and provide with advice based on your individual needs. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Restylane and nasolabial folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should consider posting photo's of what you are referring to for better assessment, as it's very difficult to answer this question with no way to see you in person or view areas of concern.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Nasolabial fillers for smile lines

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Luca,

  • It would be best to come in for an exam and see what your overall goals are
  • Smile lines are natural and fillers help improve them
  • 18 is pretty young, and everyone is different, so the best thing to do is to see a specialist where all of your questions can be answered

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Filler for nasolabial fold in 18 year old is fine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no problem with getting fillers at age 18.  I would make sure that it's not a problem with your cheeks needing filler before filling the nasolabial folds.  Its not a permanent solution, so if you don't like it or can't afford further treatments you will go back to baseline in about 9 - 12 months.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Filler at 18 years old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Luca, You sound very young to have folds that are caused by aging but you might have folds as a facial feature because of your facial structure. If you are very unhappy with them you should talk to someone about fixing them but you must understand why they are there and not fix them for the wrong reasons. Fillers are rather benign and you might only need a very small amount. Unfortunately they will not last longer because your problem is less severe. However , you should need a lot less 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Too Young for NLF line fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to the FDA, many fillers are approved to use on people 18 and over (like Juvederm, Restylane, and others). That being said, you are very young, so it would be best to meet with a board-certified physician about your needs and the issues you perceive. Following proper skincare, wearing daily sunscreen, and being healthy will all help in general. But fillers are approved to use on people 18 and over, it will just be a matter of what specific needs you have and what you are seeing.

It is all about aesthetics.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A number of specialists provide very nice care for this issue.  It is best to look for a doctor who is in the so-called aesthetic core: Dermatology, oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and general plastic surgery.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.