I'm Young but Have Fat Under my Chin, What is my Best Option? (photo)

So I am only 20 years old, but I have always had a weird neck. It seems to not curve in enough. Its not exactly a double chin, but I was wondering how I would get rid of this? My 2 MAIN problem areas are my weak jawline and chin. What would be most beneficial for all 3 points? I'm thinking a chin implant but I'd love the opinion of some doctors to see my options. thank you

Doctor Answers 5

Improving the profile on young patients

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In most young patients with a weak chin and poor profile, hey chin implant is an excellent choice to improve the profile.

 many, including you, a little bit of reshaping of the fat and muscle layers under the chin may also be extremely beneficial.

Please check my website before and after photos to see other young women and men who have had similar situations corrected.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 230 reviews

Option for young patient with fat under chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A silastic chin implant is an excellent option when a retrusive chin is present.  The chin implant allows further facial balance by augmenting the chin profile so that it better fits with facial features.  The chin implant is composed of silastic and comes in different shapes and sizes. A medium sized implant is usually used for moderate retrusion of the mandible.  Additional liposuction in the submental area can also be performed to accentuate the actual jaw line itself and enhance the results from the chin implant.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Best option for fat under the chin plus chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A chin implant may be a nice option for your particular problem (based on your photos). You do have a classically "weak" chin. One way of illustrating this is to draw an imaginary vertical line from the frontmost portion of your lower lip. The chin should either touch or be slightly behind this line. If your occlusion or bite are appropriate (i.e. your teeth meet appropriately with no "underbite" or "overbite") then the implant is suitable and can be done in conjunction with under the neck liposuction for a nice result. If your bite is off, then it makes sense to seek consultation with an oral surgeon.

I do not believe that a "sliding genioplasty" technique would be appropriate for you since you have appropriate vertical height. The genioplasty essentially makes cuts in the bone and slides the bone into a higher and more forward position with the use of hardware.

The chin implant and liposuction usually take about an hour to perform and is done on an outpatient basis. Schedule a consultation with a board-certified surgeon such as those on this site for best results.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 41 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A chin implant should help you. Whether it would be combined with anthing else would need to be determined on in person exam. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for treatment of fat under your chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your jaw and neckline can both be improved but an in-office consultation would be required to truly determine what the best options are. However, your comments about your chin are very astute. Your chin is "weak" and has the effect of blunting a person's neckline. Either a chin implant (if your bite is OK) or a jaw advancement procedure (if you have associated dental issues) would improve the appearance of your chin and your neckline. This can also be combined with liposuction of the neck and jawline if there's additional fatty tissue in that area. I hope this helps.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.