Can I have a tummy tuck? Or am I too overweight? (Photos)

I am 5'7 and 175 pounds. I carry the majority of my weight in my stomach and hips. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I have had 3 c-sections and also weight loss. I'm desperately wanting a tummy tuck, but unsure if I am a suitable candidate. At this weight.

Can I have a tummy tuck? Or am I too overweight?

Thank you for your question.  The best tummy tuck results are possible when there is primarily loose skin on the abdomen with minimal amount of fat.  If you can lose weight to the point where you can "pinch an inch" of your abdominal skin or tummy tuck resolved will be better.

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall.

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·         excess abdominal skin which may sag

·         a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·         weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·         excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

It would be best to seek out local board certified plastic surgeons for consultations as to which procedure would be best for your specific case. Good luck.

Can I have a tummy tuck or am I too overweight?

Hello and thank you for your question . I don't believe that you are too overweight .  You are actually an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction .  You may even be a candidate for a lower body lift if you have buttock and hip laxity.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  I definitely think that you are a candidate for a TT.  Be sure to see a Board Certified PS for your consultation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be a great candidate. consider having lipo as well to sculpt the waistline. 

Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Candidate for Abdominoplasty

Based on your photographs you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  Continue your exercise program and weight loss.  When your weight loss has stabilized, get an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.  You should be within 10 lbs of your weight loss goal before surgery.  Further weight loss after surgery can lead to more loose skin requiring a revision.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your pictures and question, you are a good candidate for this procedure at this weight , a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening will give you a flat abdomen and will remove your excess skin, consult with a board certified PS, good luck!

Based on your limited photo, you appear to be anatomically a candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas. It is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children. An abdominoplasty should be delayed until you are within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, have a BMI less than 30 and have finished all of your pregnancies

If a member of my family underwent a tummy tuck, it would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) . If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon