What size? Bigger or smaller?!?

Hi, I had a consultation and the surgeon that I am thinking of going with advised me to go with 345cc. The surgeon won't go big, he advised me as soon as I walked in. I do want to have a natural look but would like them a good size on the bigger side. He said the absolute biggest he would go is 385cc. What size would be best? I'm 5.3ft 8.3 stone and I'm a cup size 34b. Please help! Thank you

Go try them on again

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, thank for your height and weight and breast size estimates, they do help. There is really no way to accurately predict what size you would like without an examination. During your examination and consultation, you should try on some sample sizes and see what you are comfortable with. Then the PS can help explain with the size and current condition of your breasts.

I hope you found this helpful.

Best wishes

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast augmentation sizing

I appreciate your question.
Your surgeon has your best interest in mind
Conservative is better
If you don't agree, please seek a second opinion
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Implant size

You questions sounds like you do not agree with your surgeon.  I don't think that is a very good place to start the doctor/patient relationship.  I would advise seeking multiple opinions.

John Burns, MD

What Size Implant

This is an excellent question. After 25 years of doing breast augmentation and listening to thousands of patients describe what they want, I have come to the conclusion that what looks "natural" to one women may look like a "stripper" to another. Breast implants will look best and more resemble unaltered breasts when the base width of the implant is no larger than that of the original breast. We use 3D imaging from Vectra which has been invaluable in allowing the patient to see the different sizes and shapes of breast implants on themselves. Sometimes showing a photo of a result you like as well as one you don't may help your surgeon to choose the implant size, shape and projection ratios to give you the best result. Good luck. Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Size?

Thank you for your question.  Without performing a physical evaluation of your anatomy or at least seeing photos, it is difficult to tell.  You need to trust your surgeon's expertise.  I recommend that you ask him or her to "try on" the implants or to use whichever technology is available such as 3D imagining to get a good idea of what would look best.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

What size?

Hi, there.  Thanks for your question. 
There are many variables in recommending implant size/type. I base my implant recommendation on patients' body (chest height, chest width, existing breast tissue) as well as their desired look.  Review before and after photos and see what kind of look that you want. Please convey that to your plastic surgeon and see whether he can meet your expectation based on your anatomy.
As you may know, implant comes in different diameter and profile (projection).  If you want larger implant, consider higher profile implants.
More meaningful recommendation can be made based on direct examination and in-person consultation. 
Please visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Best regards.

What size? Bigger or smaller?!?

Thank you for your question.  My goal with my augmentation patients is a natural look.  I believe that the implant should not be more than 1/2 cm wider than the diameter of the patient's breast.  This rule of thumb provides the natural look but also decreases the chance of the implants migrating to the side when a patient in lying down.  There are different shapes to consider.  The ultra high profile implants will provide more projection with a more narrow diameter than a high profile or moderate plus profile implant.  Therefore you could go to a larger volume implant in ultra high shape and still be within the diameter of your breast.  Hope this helps

Size

Most surgeons will not want to use an implant that is wider than the patients breast. I would assume that that is the basis for the maximum suggested size. Going larger than that will defy the plan for a natural appearance. Without photos, and measurements, I cannot be more specific. What you think is "natural" and a "good size on the bigger size" probably does not resemble my idea of the same. Bringing photos to your surgeon will be helpful, and trying on implants may help you and the surgeon choose wisely.

All the best. 

Hard to tell you an absolute number, but conservative is better

The reason your surgeon doesn't want to go bigger than 385cc is likely because it won't fit on your chest. Most of the complications with breast augmentation come from using overly large implants. It is not that he/she is against a large breast, but probably because he's/she's trying to keep you out of trouble.  That size implant is going to make you a solid D cup. You sound petite and I would think that would look great on you. Good luck. 

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon