I had Rhinoplasty 6 years ago and loved the results. A week ago I slipped and banged my nose. I'm absolutely distraught.

Although i'm sure I've not broke it I've bruised the cartilage at both sides. One side seems to have settle quicker than the other. But the right side is still swollen. I can press it it with my finger. Should I be strapping this across the bridge with tape or just leave it. Will this swelling go down. Thank you in advance.

Nasal trauma

It might be a good idea to see your surgeon to be re-evaluated at this point. Best  of luck and hopefully it is jsut a bruise.

Trauma after rhinoplasty

Sorry this has happened to you! it is hard to say especially depending on what kind of rhinoplasty you had before and if cartilage grafts were used. You may consider seeing your rhinoplasty surgeon because she/he will know whats best for you. Best of luck, MMT

Nasal trauma following rhinoplasty

Hello Liberty2 - thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your recent fall. It sounds like there is quite a bit of swelling since you are able to press in some of the swelling with your finger. If possible, I think an evaluation with your surgeon may be a good idea to at least follow you throughout your healing process. If you did not break your nose, they may just follow along and address your concerns as they arise. If you are unable to see your original surgeon, be sure to find someone with experience in rhinoplasty and nasal trauma. 

Recommend consulting with Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and/or Plastic Surgeon

I am very sorry to hear about your recent trauma to your nose.  Overall, if the nasal bones are not deviated or shifted, you are able to wait for the soft tissue swelling to improve over the course of 2-4 weeks to truly evaluate the final result of the injury.

If your nasal bones are shifted, I recommend setting them back into the midline within 1-2 weeks.
Tape can always help with the swelling and will not hurt you other than possibly cause skin irritation.

I recommend you seeing a board certified facial plastic and/or plastic surgeon for evaluation and answers to your questions.

Karan Dhir, MD