Am I ready for liquid facelift? (Photo)

I am 46 and feel like a need a liquid facelift. I have had juverderm put in my cheekbone but feel my face is sagging round the lower half of my face what would you recommend please

Liquid face lift

Thank you for asking about your liquid face lift.

• Your mid and upper face look lovely - either by nature or with the help of Juvederm.
  • The lower face and neck however are the areas that are showing your age.
  • A liquid face lift uses fillers - a surgical face lift tightens the deep, loose tissues.
  • Fillers in the lower face are not likely to give you the improvement you want -
  • A lower face and neck lift is the standard and best approach.
  • Recovery varies from 7 - 10 days and at your age, the improvement should be very pretty and very long lasting.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Additional filler could be an answer to your concerns

It's great that you're already familiar with juvederm family of fillers and your question about liquid facelift is appropriate. Your doctor could consider adding additional filler to your cheeks since there is still visible volume loss and if your doctor decides to continue with juvederm group of fillers juvederm voluma would be a great choice. In addition you could have additional filler injected into your marionette lines (grooves along the corners of the mouth) and along the jawline to prevent appearance of jowling. Your other non-surgical options could include Ulthera which is a great non-surgical tightening device which would help tighten that sagging skin along the lower half of your face. A consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or a plastic surgeon would be most appropriate. Best of luck. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Rejuvenation

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. I recommend  a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), and skin resurfacing procedures (advanced laser resurfacing or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel).  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Am I a Liquid Facelift candidate?

Thank you for your question. A "liquid facelift" refers to having a number of syringes of filler (such as: Voluma and Juvederm) injected into the face; often combined with treating areas of the upper face with Botox.  Voluma is particularly great for the cheek area creating significant lift. This will help to give you a more youthful appearance by replacing volume in areas of the face that are deflated and by relaxing certain facial muscles (such as the "11" lines between the brows). This procedure will not, however, tighten the skin in the face and neck. Only a surgical face/neck lift can remove excess skin and tighten the underlying muscles definitively. This surgery is still the "gold standard" for treating sagging skin and jowls. We do offer Ulthera which can non-surgically lift your face and neck as long as the skin is still partially connected to the underlying tissue.

A board certified plastic surgeon will listen to your concerns, outline the options that are available, and suggest the best treatment to achieve your specific aesthetic goals. In our office, we routinely combine treatments (such as facelift surgery along with syringes of filler and/or Botox). Again, other options that are available to delay surgery a little longer include: Ultherapy (highly focused ultrasound that subtly lifts and tightens the skin over a period of months), and skin-tightening lasers (such as fractionated carbon dioxide and erbium). These treatments will not give you surgical results but may allow you to postpone surgery for awhile.

I hope this is helpful!
All my Best!

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Ready for liquid facelift?

There does appear to be some volume loss in your cheeks below the cheek bone.  There are a variety of fillers that could be used to help restore this volume and this can produce a mild lifting effect on the areas below.  This would not produce the same extent of lifting that could be achieved with surgery, but you could try adding the volume first and see if you are satisfied with the results.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question in regards to a liquid facelift. Fillers in the lower face will not give you the improvement you are trying to achieve. Lasers and/or IPL treatments can help tighten the skin, soften out fine lines and wrinkles and also help with tone and texture of the skin. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Am I ready for liquid facelift? (Photo)

Thank you for sending in photos with your question.  Although you have had filler placed into your cheeks, I think you would benefit from more volume.  Your volume loss in your mid-face has caused some of the changes you see in the lower face.  Additional filler in your tear troughs and the lower face if needed after treating the cheeks would help to complete the effect.  An expert injector should be able to help you.  Good luck!

Who is a candidate for a liquid facelift?

Thank you for your question.  As you are already familiar with injectable fillers you may also be familiar with the importance of revolumization. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Am I ready for liquid facelift?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Depending on your desired results, additional filler placement in the form of Voluma will help lift some of the tissues of your mid face and lower face for a subtle improvement, while additional JVD placement at the angle of the jaw and along the common area of bowling will help camouflage the sagging skin there.  This will offer a conservative, natural appearance to your face.  If you are looking for a longer-lasting, more significant change, a full face and neck life would give you those results.  

Liquid facelift

Your facial shape overall is very good. I do see what you're saying about the lower portion of your face and I think that you could use some filler in the pre-jowl area. There are many Fillers available for this and I think you would like them. Talk to your surgeon about options and other fillers for this area.

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon