What is wrong with my incision? (photos)

I had my implant done six months ago and three months ago my incision ruptured as the doctor put too big of an implant. Then got smaller implants and the incision after three months of healing is very dark red and glossy. What can be wrong with my implant incision and can my incision be opening up again. Very worried and what can I do to fix it or prevent it.

What is wrong with my incision?

This is typical for a scar that popped open and has has multiple surgeries. I would let this heal for 6 months or even more then have it revised. You need to allow time for the collagen to reorganize, a wound healing thing, and then have it fixed once that has all happens. Scars will change for up to one year. 

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - What is wrong with my incision?

I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your incision(s).  The first thing to be done, and it sounds like that has happened, is to have an implant placed that does not put too much tension on the incision.  That and other issues can help explain what happened to you (implant exposure) although that can also happen in the absence of any clearly indentifiable causes.  Having had a smaller implant inserted, you now need to make sure (ie your surgeon does) that you do not have implant exposure (again).  As long as your wound heals over the implant(s), you are way ahead and addressing the appearance of the scar becomes a secondary issue.  If you have that problem again you'll have to consider another implant (maybe even smaller), possibly with acellular dermal matrix (ADM) such as Strattice or Alloderm for additional internal support.  I would otherwise advise letting the wounds heal and being assessed, in 6 months or so, for a light treatment to change the pigment of the scar.  If it fades adequately you may not need to do anything.  And a formal scar revision risks another implant exposure so I would most likely advise against that.  You should of course be assessed in person by your own or another board-certified plastic surgeon and then follow the recommendations of that surgeon.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Troubled breast implant incision

sorry to hear about the troubles with your incision. It appears to me that you incision is having difficulty healing due to excessive tension. Replacing the first implant with a smaller implant is one way to relieve tension, but may not be enough. Off loading tension off an incision begins at surgery and closure of the incision. At this point, the only thing I can think of to help would be Embrace Scar Therapy which is a topical sticker placed to off load tension on the incision that you wear for 7-10 days at a time. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon