Do I need a tummy tuck or will just lipo give me a flat tummy? (Photos)

Do I need a tummy tuck or will just lipo give me a flat tummy

Liposuction will give you a flatter tummy but will likely leave you with some degree of loose skin

Tummy tuck

Liposuction is a good option for removing fat in the abdominal and flank regions but it will not tighten the loose skin you have in the abdominal region. A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will be needed to remove the excess skin. Abdominoplasty with liposuction for contouring will give you the toned and tightened abdomen that you are looking for. Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for both these options. Best of luck. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or Liposuction alone?

Thank you for your question. Liposuction will help you lean down and give you a flatter tummy but may leave you with loose skin. In this case, a tummy tuck will be the best option. 
Tummy tuck, also know as abdominoplasty, is a procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance.
We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.
Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

You need tummy tuck

Liposuction will not work for you. You need a tummy tuck with liposuction of your flanks. You also need tightening of your abdominal muscles.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Flat Tummy

An in person evaluation would be needed for the best answer. Based on your pictures, it appears that you do have some loose skin in the lower abdominal area. Only a tummy tuck would resolve that. Liposuction would help to loose some of the bulk in your abdomen. That being said, diet and exercise is the only way to lose the internal fat that is inside the abdominal cavity. Liposuction might cause the skin to be even more loose. Your best bet is to be within 10-15 pounds of your goal weight and then talk to your surgeon about a tummy tuck.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Lipo

Hello and thanks for the question

You could have some results from a liposuction but not the flat stomach I know you wish to have since there's some flaccidity on your abdomen.

Best of lucks.

Disnalda Matos, MD

Liposuction vs Tummytuck

Diet and exercise is first option. Liposuction will decrease bulk and may even allow you to go down one dress size, but Tummytuck will give you most dramatic result. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Do I need a tummy tuck or will just lipo give me a flat tummy?

Based on the limited information, both options will improve your abdomen, but a tummy tuck is more likely to give a better result. An in-person evaluation is best. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Liposuctioning or tummy tuck

Thanks for the question.  If your goal is only to deflate the skin contents and possibly create more loose skin, liposuctioning would create this for you.  If your desire is to attempt to have a firmer, more contoured abdomen with a firmer muscular support for the abdomen, I would favor having a full tummy tuck.  Talk this over with a local Plastic Surgeon and I am sure that the choice would be made clear for you.

Good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a tummy tuck or will lipo give me a flat tummy?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. Though nothing replaces an in-person examination I think that you would make the largest difference in your body appearance with a full tummy tuck and liposuction of your waist and love handle region. The tummy tuck will allow for tightening of your underlying muscles and removal of excess skin while the liposuction can enhance your results by addressing areas of diet and exercise resistant fat.  Hope that this helps.