How soon can I have a tummy tuck done? I gave natural birth to second child on 1/15/15

Hello I recently had a baby on 1/15/15 natural birth. He's my second child and I'm seeking to get a tummy tuck. When is the earliest I can get my surgery. Doctor assistant say late May early June. When do you advise is best time ?

6 Months Is Best

First, I assume you are planning no more children. In general, the abdominal tissues will tighten somewhat for about 6 months. I have done tummy tucks as early as 3 months after childbirth in unusual situations where patients were eager to return to work. However, the body is still changing, and more tightening and a better result will be possible if you wait.

Tummy Tuck After Childbirth

A tummy tuck after childbirth is an excellent way to eliminate the excess skin and fat from the abdomen as well as tighten the muscle layer which has been stretched from pregnancy. It is not an operation that is recommended fro women who are planning on future pregnancies. General wisdom would say a woman should wait about 6 months after delivery before having a tummy tuck. This may be extended if she is progressing in losing the pregnancy weight gain but hasn't reached her end goal yet.

Best wishes!

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tuck after Pregnancy

Typically, I advise that a woman wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to consider a tummy tuck.  This give s the body time to reverse most of the changes from pregnancy.  This will give the surgeon a "true" view of your contour.

Tummy Tuck

Hi, thanks for your inquiry, I would say that six months could be enough but every patient is different it would be better if you have an in person consultation so you can discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly, good luck in your PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

How soon can I have a tummy tuck done?

You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a tummy tuck. Most ethical plastic surgeons would feel that 4 months is way too soon after delivering because:
  • Your body, including your abdomen is still changing.
  • You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.
  • You cannot lift the baby post-operatively for weeks after a tummy tuck. The number of weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.
  • You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.
I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after childbirth

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your new addition.  It is generally recommended that a patient wait at least six months after childbirth before undergoing a tummy tuck.  However, if it takes longer for a return to baseline weight, then one may need to wait longer than six months.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon at approximately six months from the time of the birth of your last child to determine if and when you would be considered a good candidate for surgery.

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to have the Tummy Tuck surgery 6 months after birth.

Aramis Vega, MD

Surgery after childbirth

Congratulations on your new baby! You will want to wait to have surgery until your weight is stable and your body has returned to normal.  This occurs generally around 6 months after childbirth.  Another thing you must consider is if you are done having children.  While you can certainly carry a healthy pregnancy after this surgery, it could alter your results.  Best of luck to you!

Camille Cash, MD

How soon can I have a tummy tuck done?

Patients, can and do, recover at different rates following pregnancy.  But, it will usually take about six months for your abdominal tissues to settle following your delivery.  If you watch your weight and do a reasonable exercise routine; hopefully, you will be ready for your tummy tuck by late May.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Post partum tummy tuck

Hello.
Thank you for posting your question on RealSelf.

Congratulations on your new child!!

After childbirth your body takes some time(several months) to recover from the alterations that allowed you to carry a child in the first place. I would caution you not to elect a tummy tuck procedure unless you plan on having no more children in the future. I counsel my patients that they will obtain the best results if they have achieved a stable weight that is close to their goal weight and have maintained it for 6 months. 

Rachel Streu, MD