Do I have tuberous breasts & am I a good candidate for breast augmentation? (Photo)

I'm 18 years old and planning on getting a breast augmentation within the next few months because of my small size. I've been doing research for almost a year now. After seeing many before and after pictures of breast augmentations, I'm wondering if I have tuberous breasts. I have such little breast tissue that it's hard for me to tell. At my consultation I'll ask my surgeon but I would like to hear different opinions. I would like a more round appearance. I have 3 photos in different lighting.

You have a good indication for Composite Breast Augmentation

Your breasts are small but symmetrical, without ptosis, and you have therefore a good indication for augmentation by implants, and preferably by a combination of implant and fat grafting, a technique called Composite Breast Augmentation. 

Indeed, you have a wide cleavage (probably 4 fingers judging by your pictures), and if you try to correct this with an implant alone, it will give a very unnatural result, with a step like appearance between the chest and the implant. 

Adding fat around the implant smoothens the edges and provides both a narrow cleavage and a very natural appearance. 

Moreover, using composite breast augmentation, you can place the implant above the pectorals muscle, which decreases pain and long term muscular distortions, without increasing the risk of capsular contracture. 

Don't worry, you do not have tuberous breasts, not even grade 1. Patients with grade 1 tuberous breast have a loss of breast tissue in the inferomedial quadrant of the breast, and this not your case. 

I hope this helps, 

France Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and tuberous breasts

From the pictures you posted, it looks like you have average shaped, not tuberous, breasts. I think you would get a good result from breast augmentation surgery. To see before and after pictures of women similar to you, click on the link below. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi Anon,
I am actually speaking on TB in Brazil next week, and no, you don't have them.  I expect you will gain a great result with just BA, although you can always get fat later if you want.
In the link below, there are many photos of women with exactly your anatomy.
You might also consider a dual plane which expands the pocket.  See the video, and link on this too.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Tuberous breast

You do not have tuberous breasts, but regardless you look to be a healthy young woman who can entertain breast augmentation.  Find a surgeon you trust and good luck.  

Do I have tuberous breasts & am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?

Tuberous breasts exist along a spectrum of severity and are hallmarked by a few key appearances: an elevated and tight breast crease, which causes the breasts to be narrow. Because the breast tissue in a tuberous breast pushes into the areola, you will see the areola be enlarged and "puffy". In order to truly diagnose tuberous breasts, you would need an in-person examination by a board certified plastic surgeon, but based on your pictures it does not appear that you have them.  I do think that you can receive a nice improvement with a breast augmentation.

Based on the photos, I do not think that your breasts are tuberous. I think that you will be quite pleased with a breast augmentation. Good luck!

Tuberous Breasts?

Thank you very much for your question.

Based on the photographs alone, it doesn't look like you have tuberous breasts.  There is a bit of asymmetry, but the breasts don't appear tuberous per se.

I think visiting with a plastic surgeon is a good idea.  They will examine you and come up with a great plan to help you achieve the look you desire.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Candidate for a Breast Augmentation

Candidate for a Breast Augmentation
Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast augmentation.

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

Thank you for the question and photos. Based on the photos, it does not look like you have tuberous breasts and that you will be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. As I stress with
most patients, the choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that
should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect
the choice of implants like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end
result and the like. Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to
another so a carefully selected implant can be able to get you very close to
that size. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon
and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast

Hello and thank you for reaching out. From the photos you provided, it does not appear that you would be classified in the tuberous breast category, but a physical exam would be necessary to determine that 100%. With that being said, you do appear to be a good candidate for an augmentation. Be sure to go over all of your concerns with your surgeon at the consultation appointment. Best Wishes.