Mommy makeover - Surgery time frame.

I am interested in getting afull tummy tuck and a breast aug. I want to be strategic. I work with children and am off in the summers I was thinking about getting it during the summer but I am concerned about having to wear a garment all the time. How long is the recommended time frame to keep these garments on after a surgery? Option B If I were to take a week off from work rather than the summer is that enough down time to recover? What's the best or most efficient choice? Thank you

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation are a great combination. Usually need 2 weeks off work.

The combination of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation is very flattering to the figure and a popular combination. The breast augmentation does not add to the recovery time, which is related to the tummy tuck. If the surgeon keeps the incision low, you will be quite stooped over after the surgery. It takes about 2 weeks before you are standing straight up again, so 2 weeks off work is the norm. I have had patients take less time off and it does depend on you and your work demands as well. The body garment is normally worn for 1 month. But it is not really an issue. You can wear it during the summer, or a lighter compression garment. The garment just helps keep the swelling down. If you don't wear it your result is the same, but the swelling will take a little longer to subside. The garment does not "smooth" the contours - which is why it is important to select an experienced plastic surgeon who will remove the fat evenly without creating contour deformities. A link is provided in case you wish to read more.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

• Good for your for planning ahead.
  • Unfortunately a week is not a long enough recovery for these procedures.
  • You should do it in the summer - generally my patients only wear the garment for 2 weeks and then wear a Spanx or similar undergarment as need for comfort and support.
  • Many women have these operations in the summer - and the garment has not, in my practice, been a problem.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Hi. Thanks for your question. The time off work is affected by the tummy tuck, not the breast augmentation. Most patients are off work for 10-14 days following a tummy tuck and cannot drive until then. In addition, you mentioned working with children. If they are young and require lifting, etc. that might affect your time off work. Talk with your board-certified plastic surgeon about the specifics of your situation and how long he/she wants you to wear a compression garment.

Janet Turkle, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Thank you for your question. You will find many different opinions as to compression garments. Some surgeons use them for several weeks, some use them for several months, and some don’t use them at all.  My particular preference is to use the garments for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery depending on how effectively the inflammation is going down.  For a combination of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation a week is not likely going to be sufficient to recover.  Typically, I recommend 2 weeks for patients who do non-strenuous work such as office work, 3 weeks if they do light activity such as walking around, 4 weeks if it’s strenuous activity such as lifting heavy things.  Working with children will be dependent on how physical your activity level is.  

Mommy makeover - Surgery time frame.

I think that given your schedule it would be more reasonable to have the surgery and recover when the kids are out of school.

Mommy Makeover Time Frame

Hi! Thanks for asking this question. I typically recommend two weeks off work post a mommy makeover. You will need to wear compression for about three weeks post op. Maybe you could take a week vacation that hugs a holiday week. Find a board certified plasitc surgeon and set up a consult. The coordinator may be able to help you determine the best time frame for you. Take your calendar to the appointment!

Mommy makeover - Surgery time frame.

Thank you for the question; great idea to plan appropriately prior to undergoing "mommy makeover" procedures. Keep in mind that the tummy tuck procedure is a major operation associated with a very significant physical ( and often "emotional") recovery period.  Best to plan for a month of recovery.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Work with him/her to arrive at the best and "most efficient" choice. Best wishes.

Recovery After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy makeover - Surgery time frame.

There is no right or wrong answer but 2 weeks off is better than 1 week off, even if wearing a garment in the summer. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover and recovery time

Hi,

There are many approaches to the mommy makeover procedure and the type of tummy tuck and implant placement along with your weight and medical condition must be taken into consideration when giving you the recommended time off for recovery.

I actually keep the incision very low in the panty line and my patients do not stay stooped over.  The muscle tightening can be uncomfortable but if liposuction is done to augment the final results of your procedure (in my practice, about 95 % of patients, both male and female, will have liposuction to enhance their results), then this too can be uncomfortable.  Quite frankly, it is just about impossible for mom's to not get back into things.  So, can they hurt the procedure?  Probably not considering that there are redundant steps of each approach to allow for movement as tolerated.  You will be the best judge of your recovery.  If it hurts to do things during the days after the procedure, then slow down and wait till you can do any motion or activity.  If you are not taking pain meds, then you can drive etc.  

Having said all of this, I think the 2 week time frame is a basis to consider for recovery.  You will probably still have drains but these, although very annoying, can be handled easily.  

Find a plastic surgeon  who does a large amount of body contouring and you will find specific answers to your case.  If you are a smoker, then there can be delayed healing etc.  If you are a larger person, then there might be a slower recovery.  It is all very individual...just like childbirth.  Some patients are up and around soon after giving birth...and others take more time.