Surgery to permanently reduce my cheekbones? (Photo)

I have big wide prominent cheekbones and I feel they dominate my face making my mid portion of my face very big. I'd like a permenant surgery to reduce my cheekbones and create a more oval tapered face shape. I heard they can do cheekbone reductions. How safe & successful is this? What can be done to reduce my cheekbones? What are my options?

Cheekbone Reduction

Cheekbone reduction surgery is done by cutting the front and back part of the cheekbones and moving them inward. It is a highly effective operation that is very safe. Reduction of the front part of the cheekbones by burring only affects the very front of the cheekbones and produces a much more modest reduction that affects their projection more than their width.

Cheek bone reduction

I perform this operation with a drill and burr. It is common in the transgender group. 

Another option is fat grafting or fillers to help taper and less demarcate this subunit of your face. Many more people come in requesting a more prominent cheek bone than those that want it reduced. It is an attractive quality. 

I prefer to take advantage of a this uniqueness and use it to our favor when deciding how to best shape the face. 

Something to consider.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to permanently reduce my cheekbones?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are a tad bit angular on the sides but otherwise are the proper aesthetic shape (heart shaped) as described below.  When the cheeks are flat in the front (which is what a cheek reduction would do to your cheeks) the face becomes more elongated and oval shaped.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. 

I would not create an oval shaped face on a woman as this makes the face less feminine.  Try a small amount of dermal filler placed just below the sides of your cheeks.  This will reduce the angularity in the cheeks and soften your face.  I would avoid any surgical reduction or alteration of your cheeks.

Hope this helps.