Can I substitute a Tummy Tuck? (photos)

Hi, I've been researching for three years, been to three consultations and all have directed me to a TT. I am scheduled for 11/19/16 for a TT and a BBL. I'm having such a hard time commiting to the TT scar and as the date is nearing I'm not sure if I should just sculpt my body and maybe try some non invasive alternative to my abdomen. My history is 2 kids 6 and 3 no surgeries or c section. I would appreciate feedback as the doctor I chose only does invasive surgeries. Thank you!

Can I substitute a Tummy Tuck?

If your intention is to treat the loose skin, you will need a TT or a mini TT. You don't have to have both on the same day. Just do the fat transfer first and see how your skin will look like after the procedure. 

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

No substitute for tummy tuck

If 3 plastic surgeons have evaluated you and all recommended a tummy tuck, you should definitely not make a decision to do something else based on online opinions fro doctors who have not seen you personally. None of the nonsurgical options for fat reduction come close to doing what a tummy tuck does, and patients almost always accept the scar as a good trade-off for the result.

Richard Baxter, MD

Can I substitute a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and photographs and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Though difficult to offer recommendations without an in-person examination of your skin and a thorough discussion of your goal results it looks as if you have good skin quality throughout your waist, flanks and upper abdomen to pursue a less invasive measure such as liposuction.  Unfortunately with the extent of stretch marks present in and around your belly button and lower abdomen liposuction would only leave you with loose, empty skin.  Additionally liposuction will not permit tightening or you abdominal muscles or skin.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon,they are in the best position to advise you.  In most cases of a tummy tuck patients appreciate the improved shape for the trade off of the scar.  

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  BBL can help achieve a nice shape as well.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck

If three surgeons have all examined you and listened to your goals for the procedure and all 3 said tummy tuck, then I would suspect that is the correct solution given your starting point. Non invasive skin tightening, which sounding attractive, comes no where near the results of a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck for flatter stomach and firmer skin

It all depends on what your goals are. If you want a flatter stomach that’s more toned, a tummy tuck would be ideal for you based on your photos. Liposuction alone would not tighten up loose skin, an issue you may have.  You could always try noninvasive treatments if you wish, but they are usually not as effective as surgical options.

Questioning TT

Hi, Most women after pregnancy suffer from a stretched out/torn/injured abdominal wall. This seems to be the case with you as I note a bit of anterior abdominal protrusion. This cannot be rectified through liposuction. The problem is with your abdominal wall. It can only be improved by permanently stitching your abdominal muscles/fascia tighter to create a flatter appearance. Liposuction may improve your silhouette a bit, but it may not be enough. You will need to decide that. If you are having a hard time committing to the TT scar, then I suggest you have your BBL and decide then if you want to go through the additional surgery. I hope this helps. Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck+Lipo + BBL candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the questionIn this regard, I recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour. Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).Respectfully

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck vs nonsurgical options

Your question is very good. What is important is to get the procedure that will give you the results that you desire.  Nonsurgical options will give a improvement but does not tighten the abdominal wall muscle and surgically remove skin as in a tummy tuck.  Your board certified plastic surgeon will discuss your goals and suggest which procedure is best to give you the results that you desire.  You will need to decide if a tummy tuck tuck is acceptable to you. Scars will fade over time but it is always there.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon