Any suggestions on Smoking?

I know smoking and vape or e cigarette with nicotine is not allowed, but would it harm results to use zero nicotine vape which consists of water and propelyne glycol sold in a pharmacy so ingredients are correct - nothing else. I know in the bigger picture quitting long term is key but pre surgery nerves and nicotine withdrawl is not great so would help a bit if I could use something especially to keep me occupied in the post surgery (boring) period. But want to make sure it would be safe to do so.

No Smoking

For a better result no smoking of any kind is recommended 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. This would be a good time to stop smoking all together.  

Thank you for your question. Yes, any type of smoking can jeapordize the progress of your facelift. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Facelift

My advice, anything that has a possibility of influencing your surgery should be stopped. ALL smoke contains carbon monoxide and other molecules that influence the oxygen in your blood. In facelift surgery, blood oxygen is CRUTIAL. There isn't enough research into this area and thus my advice, avoid at all costs. Its your face, it would be awful to get a complication and wonder if things would have been different if you didn't smoke. 

Dr Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Any suggestions on Smoking?

a zero nicotine vape would probably be harmless as the nicotine is what causes the vascular problems  and the vapor would be like walking in a dense fog.

it might even help you to mobilize secretions in the lung after surgery much like an ultrasonic nebulizer.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stop smoking before elective cosmetic surgery

Smoking of any kind is detrimental to the healing process and can set patients up for complications..

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX

Dear Milliemils9

Thank you for your question!  I do not think that the effects of the Vaps are well understood. 

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Smoking zero nicotine vape before surgery

Thank you for asking about your smoking before surgery.

This is something to discuss with your own surgeon.
Depending on the surgery, I might allow a patient to continue a zero nicotine vape -
But I would want to discuss it with them in detail first.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS