Can a silicone implant be replaced with ones own body tissue? Do the silicone implants cause any long term health complications?

I had a rhinoplasty done 10 years ago in Dubai, I believe it was a silicone based to build the bridge, shortly after the surgery, the bridge seems lose and moves when touched. I have developed several health complications and am trying to figure out if this may be related. If I chose to repeat the rhinoplasty, and change from silicone to own body tissue replacement, is that a possibility? Thank you in advance

Problems with Silicone Nasal Implant

I am not a fan of silicone nasal implants because of the increased risk of infection, movement, and extrusion. I prefer to use the patient's own tissue for augmentation. On many occasions I've removed an implant that is mobile or extruding and placed diced cartilage/fascia grafts. In fact I have 2 such patients for whom I'm doing this in the next month.

Revision Rhinoplasty: replacing a silicone implant

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Silicone implants are commonly used throughout the world to quickly and easily raise the bridge of the nose for a contoured result. The issue with silicone implants is a lifetime risk of mobility and infection. A surgeon can harvest cartilage for patients who wish to replace it with living tissue. Bear in mind, removing the implants may leave a large pocket/defect that needs to be refilled with a lot of material. I like to use rib cartilage. 

I recommend talking to someone who understands the removal of implants and rib cartilage grafting for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, the silicone implant can be replaced with yoru own bodies cartilage, typcially from the spetum, ear, or rib. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Silicone Nasal Implant

Thank you for your question.  Yes, silicone nasal implants can be removed, and replaced with your own tissue.  This tissue is cartilage, which can be taken from your septum or your ear.  You also might need cartilage to be taken from one of your ribs, depending on how much is needed.  I would consult with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon, who specializes in revision rhinoplasty. 

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant

It is possible to remove the silicone implant and instead use your own cartilage.  Commonly,this cartilage is taken from the septum, ear or rib.  I suggest you schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty revisions to discuss your options further. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal Grafts

When possible, I try to use a patient's own tissue.  Usually, cartilage from either the septum, ears, or rib can be used instead of silicone.   There are cases where the silicone dorsal graft is the best option.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Much to think about

That is a great question. Silicone implants are used widely outside the united states for building up the bridge of the nose. In many people there are no issues, but in some the silicone may remain mobile, may become infected, or can extrude. Most likely complications are localized to your nose. The implant may be removed and replaced with rib (your own or from a tissue bank), however this is complex revision surgery and you should make sure that you current situation truly warrants reoperation. If you choose to pursue this surgery you need to be sure your surgeon is comfortable with and has trained extensively in the use of rib grafts --they are very much an advance technique.

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon