Scheduled date for buccal fat removal. 24 years old; he did not seem to mention much about artistic contouring?
New York, NY
4 months ago
I am a male and a bit of extra buccal fat runs in the family. I scheduled a date for surgery with a doctor but I have some questions. He did not seem to mention much about artistic contouring by removing fat in specific parts of the buccal fat pad. He just kind of mentioned that they tease the fat out and then cut it. I figured he would have mentioned there was more to it in terms of getting a customized result but no. Should I be worried. His before and afters seem decent at the very least.
Doctor Answers 1
Buccal fat reduction - can results be customized?
Thank you for asking about your buccal fat removal.
- It is actually very difficult to contour the buccal fat -
- With the incision in the mouth, one easily finds the buccal fat pad.
- This is fat within a capsule -
- Gently removing it - and comparing the result in appearance as one does so - allows your surgeon to tell if enough has been removed.
- But the fat is around important nerves in the face -
- Once sufficient fat has been removed, trying to contour the area is risky.
- So does the surgery require meticulous technique and finesse for good results? Yes but it is not a contouring procedure.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.