Reduction or Lift? (photo)

I was a 34C before 2 kids and breastfeeding and now I'm a 34DD. Very uncomfortable with frequent neck and shoulder pain. If my insurance won't cover a reduction, is it possible to get some relief and better aesthetics through a lift alone? I have a consult scheduled in October and it can't come soon enough.

Reduction or breast lift??

Consider that most women gain weight during pregnancy, so if you can loose weight, your breasts are very likely to go back in size. If weight reduction is not an option, you may seek to have a weight transfer breast lift to relieve the pain from pendulous breasts without sacrificing volume. The Horndeski Method breast lift reshapes, lifts and transfers the weight of the breast from the skin envelope to the chest muscles. This improves long term results and elevation of the new breast mound. Attached is an example of what can be achieved with this method without breast implants or the vertical scar. You are welcome to view her before video by visiting my video gallery. I hope this helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Lift vs reduction

Thanks for your question. Amy you are clearly suffering from your heavy, pendulous breast. Your best option is to make your breast lighter by undergoing a reduction. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Breast reduction vs lift

Hello and thank you for the question and photos. Based on the photos, you are a great candidate for a breast reduction. All reductions are also lifts, in that the breast is reduced in size, but also the excess skin is removed and the breast is lifted and reshaped. 

For most doctors, the cost of the lift is close to the cost of a reduction. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any decision. You should expect to take 1-2 weeks off of work for recovery depending on the type of work you do. As always, it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you. 
 Tweet

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction or breast lift?

A breast lift and a breast reduction are very similar surgeries in many ways. A reduction is essentially a lift that also includes removing some breast tissue. Any reduction will involve a breast lift as well, and the amount of breast tissue removed is up to the patient and the surgeon. In other words, you can have a breast lift with removal of just a little tissue from the sides, keeping the cleavage area full, or you can remove more tissue and truly decrease the size and weight of your breasts. Most patients experience a clear improvement of symptoms simply with a breast lift, although a greater improvement will generally occur if additional weight is removed as well. Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Reduction or lift

You can self-pay for your surgery and have a reduction.  It may relieve your symptoms. Best to be seen in person.

Reduction or Lift?

With your symptoms you will do better by having a reduction, which always includes a lift. The difference between the two in price should generally be pretty small. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Reduction or Lift

Essentially, the decision to have a reduction or a lift is up to you.  If you are happy with your breast size, but just want them higher and more "perky", then a lift can be performed.  If you would like your breasts to be smaller (due to pain relief or better aesthetics), then you can have a reduction.  Patients often do have some relief of back and shoulder pain when the breasts are placed higher on the chest in the proper position with only a lift, but surgeons cannot guarantee pain relief with any operation.  I hope that's helpful.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Small reduction

Basically, breast reduction and breast lifts are done in a similar fashion. The only difference with a reduction is that some breast gland is removed. Therefore, during a breast lifting procedure, a small breast reduction can likewise be performed. I would recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your region. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Reduction or Lift

Dear Amyindelmar,

Thank you for your picture.  In my opinion, you would benefit for a small reduction and a lift.  Please visit with several  board certified plastic surgeons for the best opinions.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery