Will the red skin near my skin nercosis die as well ! Freaking out about this big time. (photos)

Hello I am 5 days post op tt with Lipo in hips and thighs ! My drains were taking out today bc of low liquids and I am in ok pain etc ! I was not a heavy smoker before the surgery and one stupid cigarette a month before surgery !! I now have skin necrosis in a small area where my old belly button was brought down ! My ps told me to keep bacitracin on the entire area and I have I am just freaking out all this pink and red skin will scab and die and I have a huge hole in my belly ! Very emotional

Will the red skin near my skin nercosis die as well ! Freaking out about this big time.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Post Tummy Tuck -- Skin Necrosis Versus Bruising

Please continue to follow your physicians post-operative protocol and follow up with him or her regarding any concerns. I suggest allowing adequate healing time and refraining from smoking to see optimal results. This can be bruising or early necrosis, hyperbaric oxygen will be helpful here.  Best, Dr. Emer

Tummy tuck - worried about skin necrosis

Thank you for asking about your tummy  tuck and liposuction.
  • This is a very worrying time but all you can do is to follow your surgeon's instructions, protect the skin from injury, give it time and not smoke - anything at all.
  • The photos suggests you do not have full necrosis yet - 
  • It is hard to wait but it may be that you heal slowly with little if any full thickness necrosis so hang on and be patient.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Skin loss

Your surgeon, who is keeping an eye on you, will be the best one to know what will live and what won't. Please follow all your post operative instructions, and avoid all smoking--yours and anyone else.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck skin and necrosis

Yes, it is likely that some of the darkened ares will go on to be full thickness skin loss.  It can be related to the cigarette smoking.  It is important to follow your surgeons wound care instructions.

Will the red skin near my skin nercosis die as well !

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are going through tough healing stage. It will be difficult to tell at this stage, only time will tell us. May be only superficial skin loss in some areas. It depending on amount of circulation loss, smoking and other medical issues too

Thank you for sharing your experiences and questions.  I am sorry to see your wound healing difficulties and hope that this begins to heal quickly for you.  At this point it is difficult to know what tissues will not survive as the areas of greatest bruising and dark coloration will suffer some loss.  The lighter red and purple colors may only suffer a superficial skin loss but only time will tell.  Maintain the superficial skin well-moisturized and limit tension to try and preserve as much of it as possible.  Once the skin has declared itself your surgeon can make the appropriate wound care recommendations.  Best wishes!

Necrosis after a TT

Hello.  Thank you for your question and photos.  I'm sorry you are having this issue after your surgery.   Necrosis of the tissue of the most distal part of the abdominal flap may occur due to different reasons.   Smokers patients tends to have this complication more often.  Right now the best thing you can it's to wait and use daily the bacitracin on the area.  After the the necrosis area have defined your PS will explain you some different treatments available for wound closure.  Best of luck. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Skin necrosis

At this point the skin is still struggling to survive and it is difficult to tell what will heal ok and what will go on to full thickness tissue loss. Avoid any contact with cigarettes or second hand smoke and allow more time for the area to heal 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon